Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Re: The gear jammers thread

Originally Posted by nero ->
Found this link Harvey, hope it explains it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
Thanks Denis, I think that what Mercedes are offering on their Sprinter van is what Wikpedia call a 'Manumatic' since they (MB) claim it has a torque converter in it. The Renault Quickshift 6 would (according to Wikpedia) be a Semi-Automatic with the clutch and gear shifts being handled electronically. I drove the Quickshift 6 in April and didn't like it.

I only skimmed the articles but will go back when I've a bit more time, thanks again for finding that.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2009, 04:00 PM

I phoned a friend (not like WWTBAM) he's got a large garage near me and I put the question to him, he said . . "oh no, not that cr@p again, Volvo used to have it in one of their cars years ago and it was a disaster".

James is a good mechanic so I'd heed his advice, he been in the trade for years.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2009, 02:41 PM

All's quiet on the Western front here so I'll tip-toe back out.
nero
Central Scotland

13-02-2010, 03:59 AM

I heard a description of Volvo cars on TV tonight which made me laugh, . . they weigh as much as a Sherman tank and are driven by rubber bands (the cars used to driven by rubber belts in a semi automatic transmission) . . the drivers all smoke pipes and have leather patches on the elbows of their jackets.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top