Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Re: The 1960's

Oh yes....and the heels often snapped as you tried to dislodged them from the floor!

I loved the Dandy and the Beano but preferred the Dandy......
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 10:53 AM

How about Girds ? . . then there were Peeries.

Living in an area where there were lots of foundries we used to play "stars", they were the solid iron star-shaped pieces they used to remove the sand from castings.

For the English among you I shall translate.

A Gird was a solid iron ring about 24 inches in diameter, you rolled it along the ground and guided it with a metal rod, Peeries were small wooden spinning-top like things, you had a cane with a 2 foot piece of string attached to it like a whip, the string was wound round the Peerie then placed on the ground and whipped away to make the peerie spin, once spinning you kept whipping it with the whip, . . Hmmm, . . that would be a fantastic stress reliever today wouldn't it.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 12:26 PM

We didn't have anything like that down South that I remember.

French skipping anyone?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Girds? Peeries? Good lord! In the 60`s we had sex and drugs and rock and roll where I lived. .
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
My friend had one of those record players, the youngsters today wouldn't believe it, they were like a vanity case!
I have mentioned it to a few people ad everyone looked at me as if I had lost the plot so thankyou for saying you know of them too...
Sue
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Ah ladies, . . Stiletto heels, remember those ? a lot of public places banned them coz they stuck in the floors.

The comics Beano and Dandy, and petrol was only 50 pence a GALLON.
Petrol was dear in your neck of the woods I first married in 1970 and we bought a Ford Consul shortly after and I remember petrol was 7/6d (37.5p)a gallon then and 20 No6 ciggies were 2/-(10p)
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
I have mentioned it to a few people ad everyone looked at me as if I had lost the plot so thankyou for saying you know of them too...
Sue
I don't think they were very popular because apart from lugging it around and a bag of records too the battery didn't last long!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Girds? Peeries? Good lord! In the 60`s we had sex and drugs and rock and roll where I lived. .

Ha ha, like that here too!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
How about Girds ? . . then there were Peeries.

Living in an area where there were lots of foundries we used to play "stars", they were the solid iron star-shaped pieces they used to remove the sand from castings.

For the English among you I shall translate.

A Gird was a solid iron ring about 24 inches in diameter, you rolled it along the ground and guided it with a metal rod, Peeries were small wooden spinning-top like things, you had a cane with a 2 foot piece of string attached to it like a whip, the string was wound round the Peerie then placed on the ground and whipped away to make the peerie spin, once spinning you kept whipping it with the whip, . . Hmmm, . . that would be a fantastic stress reliever today wouldn't it.
The first one is what we called the hoop and stick (before my play days!)....

The second one we called the spinning top, I used to love that...

You certainly have a different language 'up there' Nero!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
Petrol was dear in your neck of the woods I first married in 1970 and we bought a Ford Consul shortly after and I remember petrol was 7/6d (37.5p)a gallon then and 20 No6 ciggies were 2/-(10p)
Well spotted, It was supposed to read 25 pence, I got my worms all mixed up.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top