Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Bread Maker?

Anyone have and use a Bread Maker? We had a Panasonic one brought for us at Christmas.
Have not tried it yet, but hoping it will be real nice.

Rainbow
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Re: Bread Maker?

I love the smell of fresh bread

I don't have a bread maker but have tried to make yeast-free bread in the past... but failed miserably
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Yes, the aroma is mouth-watering!!

I had heard that Bread Makers do vary in the type of bread and the taste that they produce.

So hoping we have just the right type!

Rainbow
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

21-01-2011, 10:12 PM

I don't have a breadmaker but I make bread regularly. The recipe I use is a simple one which has never failed me yet. In case anyone fancies having a go here it is -

A SATISFYING LOAF

It’s so satisfying. It’s just a plain white loaf, made by hand. But it works every time and it’s ridiculously simple. If you think you can’t do bread, you can. This will work – I PROMISE.

Ingredients
• 500g white strong bread flour
• 7g dried yeast sachet
• 1tsp salt
• 300ml water
• 3tbsp olive oil plus a bit extra

Method

Mix the flour, yeast and salt together in a large bowl. Pour in the water and the olive oil. Mix with wooden spoon until it’s together enough to take out of the bowl.

Knead on a floury surface until the dough feels elastic and silky smooth to the touch and bounces back slightly when prodded. This should take about 10 minutes.

Place in a warmish area and leave to rise until doubled in size. This should take about 1 hour.

Knock back the dough and knead for a minute or so. The dough will be elastic and bouncy when prodded. Mould it into a round-ish shape or put it in a loaf tin. Slather the surface with olive oil (this will give a soft, chewy crust)(optional).

Leave to rise for another hour or so on the tray or in the loaf tin in which it will be going in the oven.

Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Put the loaf in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes until a nice golden colour.

Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Now simply slice, butter and enjoy.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 11:22 PM

Mazzie, thanks for that recipe, I'll print it off and maybe have a go, my brother and SiL make their own bread and I've tasted it and it is fabulous. He gave me a recipe three years ago which I lost and I'm too embarressed to ask him to print it off again (Brothers don't like to admit such things to each other don't you know)
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

22-01-2011, 08:57 PM

You won't regret it Losos.............its delicious.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 09:58 PM

Like Mazzie I don't have a bread maker but make my own bread it is really quick and easy and takes very little time at all.

I enjoy the tactile sensation of kneading the bread and usually make rolls for the freezer so a bread maker wouldn't really work for me. I also prefer to use fresh yeast.

I weigh out the ingredients the night before and rub a knob of butter into the flour then cover it ready for morning, this gives the flour a chance to warm up to room temperature which helps the rise.

The only problem with home made bread is you tend to eat more of it
Rainbow
Surrey UK

22-01-2011, 10:29 PM

I presume that even a plain White loaf that is home-made is better for you than shop brought?

(i.e. no additives or preservatives etc)!!

Rainbow
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
I presume that even a plain White loaf that is home-made is better for you than shop brought?

(i.e. no additives or preservatives etc)!

Rainbow
Hi Rainbow I guess so and they certainly taste better. They have a lot more flavour probably because a rising escalator isn't used so the flavour has time to develop . I find even the flour used makes a difference.

I like to use 'Marriages' or Doves Farm flour , both are organic.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

23-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Meg, thanks for the tip about the flour, good idea.

Rainbow

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top