Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Re: I think I'll start smoking again

A funny thing happened to me in Jan 2005, I was a 3 pack a day smoker at that time. I was rushed to the trauma center at a local hospital with congestive heart failure. I was literally blue and had a blood pressure of 255/150 when they started working on me. I haven't touched a cigarette since that day. I'm on blood pressure medications and read 130/80 now. I can take a deep breath and not start hacking. The air in Oregon, USA is crystal clear and pure.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 06:47 PM

I was a little over 40 when they first found cancer. I had a kidney and the associated tube that leads into the bladder removed ...but I kept smoking. On the second occasion, I had some lumps in the bladder zapped away with a laser ...but I still kept smoking. On the third occasion, they zapped away some more bladder lumps and sent me up to a London hospital where a growth inside the remaining kidney was examined. Across my notes was written in red letters:

MUST STOP SMOKING

I did. I've had regular examinations ever since but 25 years later (yeah, I know, it gives away my age ) I'm still here and have had no further lumps. The one on the remaining kidney is still there but doesn't cause problems. I'm very fit and active despite that history.

I never even think about smoking now but used to dream that I'd taken it up again. It sure was a relief to wake up and find I hadn't.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Well done Mart, it must be a good feeling to know that you don't even want to smoke again.

My MIL had cancer when she was mid twenties and was in hospital in Christies Manchester I can't believe it is true but she swears she had an ashtray by her bed and her mum used to bring cigarettes in for her. She carried on smoking for many many years until she was 75 and then only gave up because the young doctor asked her to cut down and MIL said she was so nice that she thought she would stop to please her. (DOH)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top