Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Re: Blocked drain - suggestions?

Drains are complicated things but very often solidified fats are the biggest cause of blockages, particularly from commercial premises.

I can tell you that there are legal moves taking place at the moment for water companies to take over responsibility for private drains as well as public sewers, so it may be worth checking what the present situation is in your area with your water supply company. Not only would they clear the drain but they would also advise on how to keep the drains clear of blockages in the future. If they are not responsible at the moment it is always worth ringing Environmental Services at your local council, who will normally give an emergency service to clear blocked drains, but may make a charge for this.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 06:00 PM

It certainly seems like an Environmental problem to me. I'd have rung the Council months ago, you can't expect to have a greasy pond there, that never drains away, it is going to smell awful anytime soon.
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 07:12 PM

Thanks all. I guess the environmental health could do some tests to see if it's the restaurant or not. I just didn't want to start an official investigation and cause problems with the restaurant owner unless we're certain it's them. In all other respects we get on, so this would be our first 'disagreement'. Oh yes, that's right we have an old Karcher pressure washer so I may get my husband to give it a try.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 07:15 PM

I wouldn't try and clear it yourself, it might blast back and cover you in grease.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by beanybit ->
Thanks all. I guess the environmental health could do some tests to see if it's the restaurant or not. I just didn't want to start an official investigation and cause problems with the restaurant owner unless we're certain it's them. In all other respects we get on, so this would be our first 'disagreement'. Oh yes, that's right we have an old Karcher pressure washer so I may get my husband to give it a try.
Surely it must be worse for the restaurant if they are on the ground floor, so why not ask them about getting the council involved next time it happens? There is no shame in having blocked drains and it can happen to anyone, the only thing that matters is clearing the blockage, finding the cause and removing it to stop it recurring.

I would also agree with Jimmy regarding using your pressure washer, particularly if you don't know what you are doing or where the drain is actually blocked, which isn't necessarily where you think it is...
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=plantman;211446]Surely it must be worse for the restaurant if they are on the ground floor, so why not ask them about getting the council involved next time it happens? There is no shame in having blocked drains and it can happen to anyone, the only thing that matters is clearing the blockage, finding the cause and removing it to stop it recurring.

The resturaunt wont want the council involved though Plantman, if it turns out to be their fault they could be fined.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

26-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->

The resturaunt wont want the council involved though Plantman, if it turns out to be their fault they could be fined.
I would have thought there was only a problem for the restaurant if they didn't seek help to try to fix it...
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Interesting points guys - thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll let you know what happens. I'm due to speak to the restaurant owner in the next few days.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 11:19 PM

Yes lass, keep us posted as to what happens. I'd be very interested.
Jimmy
Lancashire

28-08-2012, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by beanybit ->
Interesting points guys - thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll let you know what happens. I'm due to speak to the restaurant owner in the next few days.
I don't think the restaurant owner will be pleased if you mention the enviromental health.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top