Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 09:35 PM

True Grit

I'm a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to remakes of good films, I tend to prefer the original. However having seen the remake of 'True Grit' I think I like the new version better. It's fresh, fun and (I think) very enjoyable. There is no doubt about who steals the film, a young 14 year old super talent named Hailee Steinfeld, she is just brilliant and a joy to watch, this young lady is going places, mark my words.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

28-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Re: True Grit

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I'm a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to remakes of good films, I tend to prefer the original. However having seen the remake of 'True Grit' I think I like the new version better. It's fresh, fun and (I think) very enjoyable. There is no doubt about who steals the film, a young 14 year old super talent named Hailee Steinfeld, she is just brilliant and a joy to watch, this young lady is going places, mark my words.

Indeed jemflux youre not the first to say this and its getting very good reviews .

Thank for the info , we may go and see it
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Sorry but I'm a purist and prefer the original, and I'm getting very bored with Hollywood regurgitating old films. It would seem that Hollywood is now lacking any original thoughts.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sorry but I'm a purist and prefer the original, and I'm getting very bored with Hollywood regurgitating old films. It would seem that Hollywood is now lacking any original thoughts.
I'm with you on this Joe, why remake old films? Most of them disappoint and those that don`t could have had an amended script and title, to avoid having to compare the two. Think "Seven Samurai" and "The Magnificent Seven", pretty much the same story but set in a different time and place. Result - no comparison and both films memorable in their own right.

Having said that, however, I won`t bother to see the new True Grit, as I didn`t rate the original that highly anyway!
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Who takes the 'original' role of John Wayne?

Rainbow x
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Jeff Bridges plays the part, complete with black eye patch. I thought he did a good job of it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2011, 03:20 PM

I would think Jeff Bridges would make a good job of being Rooster Coburn - a good choice. I haven't been to see this film, but I will probably get it when it comes out on DVD.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2011, 04:10 PM

I would love to go see it.
John McNally
New Member!
Leamington Spa, UK
John McNally is male 

21-02-2011, 11:07 PM

I had high hopes for True Grit having read good reviews, and liking the Coen Brothers films in general. But I was disappointed. I thought it was slow moving, and I couldn't understand a word that Jeff Bridges mumbled......Bring back the John Wayne version.

John
Leamington Spa
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 12:57 AM

Just been to see it, and for me its far better than the original, which was John Wayne just playing himself as usual. This is more realistic of the true west, dirty, dangerous, with no good or bad guys per se.The girl was wonderful, Bridges too. You need to see it on the big screen, as the cinematography is splendid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top