Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Dinosaur!

It seems that remains of HUGE dinosaurs have been found in south America:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27441156

Fascinating to think of these creatures roaming the earth so long ago.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Re: Dinosaur!

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
It seems that remains of HUGE dinosaurs have been found in south America:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27441156

Fascinating to think of these creatures roaming the earth so long ago.
Some creature will say that about homo sapiens at some time in the future.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Some creature will say that about homo sapiens at some time in the future.
What has always fascinated me is the time scale - dinosaurs were the dominant specie on the planet for something like 150million years. While mammals were getting under the feet of the dinosaurs as tiny furry things toward the end of their 'reign'. Man (or rather his ancestors) has only been around for about 4 million years and Homo Sapiens for something like 200000 years. (I think that is about right give or take a bit)

Because of this relatively short evolutionary history I sometimes wonder if there is already a divergent specie already among us (not that we would know or notice). I mean Neanderthals only died out since modern man arrived in Australia (40000 years ago?) and while some of us might feel a bit nervous if a Neanderthal got on the bus with us on our way to work they are not that different to us (I suspect there are examples of modern men that would make us feel far more nervous).

There is a lot that can happen in 150 million years - I would like to think we could outlast the dinosaurs.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Im second from left
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What has always fascinated me is the time scale - dinosaurs were the dominant specie on the planet for something like 150million years. While mammals were getting under the feet of the dinosaurs as tiny furry things toward the end of their 'reign'. Man (or rather his ancestors) has only been around for about 4 million years and Homo Sapiens for something like 200000 years. (I think that is about right give or take a bit)

Because of this relatively short evolutionary history I sometimes wonder if there is already a divergent specie already among us (not that we would know or notice). I mean Neanderthals only died out since modern man arrived in Australia (40000 years ago?) and while some of us might feel a bit nervous if a Neanderthal got on the bus with us on our way to work they are not that different to us (I suspect there are examples of modern men that would make us feel far more nervous).

There is a lot that can happen in 150 million years - I would like to think we could outlast the dinosaurs.

I have a bad back, and creaky knees and hips, and my son always says that when I get up from the sofa and start to walk across the room, I look just like the start of that sequence
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I have a bad back, and creaky knees and hips, and my son always says that when I get up from the sofa and start to walk across the room, I look just like the start of that sequence

Well slap his legs, cheeky monkey.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 10:38 PM

I saw a bit about this on the news tonight. They said the Titanosaurus's were 40 metres long and 18 metres high, they've found a huge bone but I missed whereabouts it was found. I can't imagine a creature that size.

(p.s. oh, just seen it was in Argentina - thanks Ania).
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well slap his legs, cheeky monkey.
Problem is Mups, he is 6'4" and built like the proverbial, and I am a mere 5'2", besides there are times when he is soooo right, takes me a while to become erect after sitting a while.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Wow! thems big bones, there must be thousands of species we never knew anything about still waiting to be unearthed, keep looking lads and lassies.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top