Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Re: Moon Gardening

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I wonder how we would respond if Martians wanted to start altering our planet? . . .
They already have - they call it a 'coalision government' !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Was that from "War of the Worlds" Bruce?
I think they have studied us many times and decided they don't want anything to do with us, and who could blame them, we should not try to go where we are not welcome.
Yes, its the opening paragraph, I know it almost by heart (that was a cut and paste though). It is a great opening line/para isn't it?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 11:18 PM

It seems space tourism is the 'In' thing for the super rich, there are a few companies set up to cater for this now and prices vary, but who cares it's only money.
If I were among the super rich I would not be satisfied just to orbit the Earth a few times or spend a weekend in the smelly international space station, and lets face it it has to be smelly, they can't very well open the windows when someone farts can they, I would want to go on a trip to the moon and why not?. After nearly 50 years (a long time in this technical age) they should have moon travel down to a fine art, none of your bulky cumbersome lunar modules like they had in the last century, none of the uncomfortable ugly space suits either, just nice slim passenger space ships to run us there, wasn't the whole idea of a space station back in the 70's to act as a stop off on the way to the Mars and the great wide beyond?, to get to the moon from the station is only a stones throw, no need for tons of fuel, just a neat little shuttlecraft and there's no gravity to hinder take off, sure a good push would get you there in no time. Well here we are 50 years later and this is not possible, "We can send you into space for as long as you want within reason, but sorry, the moon is out sir" "Why is that then?" "Because we don't have a base there sir"...I could go on but why bother, you just can't go there and thats the end of it.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 11:06 AM

perhaps we should send all the people that are spoiling our planet there, so Mother earth can heal herself in peace. it's dead already so they can't do too much harm
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 03:26 PM

It seems space tourism is the 'In' thing for the super rich, there are a few companies set up to cater for this now and prices vary, but who cares it's only money.
If I were among the super rich I would not be satisfied just to orbit the Earth a few times or spend a weekend in the smelly international space station, and lets face it it has to be smelly, they can't very well open the windows when someone farts can they, I would want to go on a trip to the moon and why not?. After nearly 50 years (a long time in this technical age) they should have moon travel down to a fine art, none of your bulky cumbersome lunar modules like they had in the last century, none of the uncomfortable ugly space suits either, just nice slim passenger space ships to run us there, wasn't the whole idea of a space station back in the 70's to act as a stop off on the way to the Mars and the great wide beyond?, to get to the moon from the station is only a stones throw, no need for tons of fuel, just a neat little shuttlecraft and there's no gravity to hinder take off, sure a good push would get you there in no time. Well here we are 50 years later and this is not possible, "We can send you into space for as long as you want within reason, but sorry, the moon is out sir" "Why is that then?" "Because we don't have a base there sir"...I could go on but why bother, you just can't go there and thats the end of it.

Going to the moon is not straight forward as you may think and even today is very challenging, going to mars successfully is extremely difficult. The problems with travelling to the moon from the 1970's perspective is that during the later Apollo missions, people were thinking that missions to the moon were over-expensive and been-there-done-that and thus the future missions were cancelled after Apollo 17. So the technology for moon missions came to a halt and with that was the idea of missions to mars disappeared as well, although these days, attitudes have changed and a martian mission is definitely on the cards - but for that to happen, new technologies will have to be invented and developed.

Incidentally, the moon has gravity, about 0.6 of Earth's. And vehicle going and coming from the moon would still require a considerable amount of fuel, as did the Apollo missions.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Thanks for that info Graham, looks like trips to the moon are out for the foreseeable future.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 09:15 AM

I'm just getting back from there and must say, my radishes were a flop.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

13-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I'm just getting back from there and must say, my radishes were a flop.
I could have told you that Ploppy, what possessed you to try radishes?, next time you're there try the mushrooms.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 10:26 AM

I could have told you that Ploppy, what possessed you to try radishes?, next time you're there try the mushrooms.
Brilliant idea, there is still much room left up there for that.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 06:11 AM

I say, I say, I say (What you again)
My dustbin's absolutely full with toadstools
(How do you know it's full)
'Cos there's not much room inside

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top