Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Re: V-J Day, the forgotten one.

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
With great respect, you have looked at one article from Wikipedia and reproduced some of it here. There are a good many articles from the same source that will give a completely different view. The reliability in all of them is never going to be historical fact by the very nature of Wikipedia.
There are also many conflicting views on the US use of Atomic Bombs but that does not seem to interest folks.

I do however know for a certaintly that on V-J Day a few years ago Japan's prime minister expressed deep regret over the suffering his country inflicted on Asian and other countries during World War II.
"Our country inflicted tremendous damage and suffering on many countries, particularly people in Asia. As a representative of the Japanese people, I humbly express my remorse for the victims, along with deep regret," he said. The prime minister also vowed that Japan would never repeat the tragedy.

Emperor Akihito — whose father Hirohito announced Japan's surrender in a radio broadcast on Aug. 15, 1945 — said he hoped Japan would never again wage a war, saying.

"I mourn for those who died in the war and pray for world peace and further development of Japan,"
Neither the Emperor or the Prime Minister did attend a controversial war shrine located near the national cemetery. The Yasukuni Shrine is a memorial to Japanese soldiers who died in wars, including yes indeed, convicted war criminals.

A very short paperback worth reading is, Hiroshima: by John Hersey it has been out for a while but it just might give a reader a different viewpoint.
Thanks for that hammer but I quoted from an article sent to me in 2009 - I didn't know it had been lifted from Wikipedia or I wouldn't have quoted it - my mistake!
On the other hand though, my father is dead now and I respect him and his memory too much to go against what he told me, nor several others that I've met over the years, one of which was in the same shore party as my father on one particular week, although I'm not sure now when or where that was but it involved a little-documented atrocity.
I will look up what you have put here because I'm interested but it won't change how I actually feel. Thanks, stevmk2
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2011, 09:40 PM

wars always hit the innocent worse, think we should stop making war and spending a fortune on arms etc and torturing animals to test germ type warfare ( yes they do) bring our kids home and get on with building a peaceful world before we find we have no earth to live on
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

05-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by seaspirit ->
wars always hit the innocent worse, think we should stop making war and spending a fortune on arms etc and torturing animals to test germ type warfare ( yes they do) bring our kids home and get on with building a peaceful world before we find we have no earth to live on
Sorry, this thread is not about war or animal testing, it is simply about remembering all those who made and still make the ultimate sacrifice, or have suffered as a result of injuries sustained in fighting for the very freedom we all enjoy today.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 06:36 PM

May I commend those who have not read it - a very good book entitled "The Knights of Bushido" written by an eminent historian Lord Russel of Liverpool which covers the atrocities perpetrated by the Japanese military against the thousands of prisoners of war. Japan was not at that time a signatory to the Geneva convention regarding the treatment of prisoners of war.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-10-2011, 10:25 PM

Sadly I was unable to post here on the actual date but thought to include a personal remembrance anyway.

On the 22nd September 1914. HMS Aboukir along with her sister ships of the " live bait squadron", Cressy and Hogue were all sunk by torpedos fired from the German Sub U9.

In all 1459 souls perished that morning. I had hoped to visit the Gravenzande Cemetery Holland where my relative from HMS Aboukir is buried, but that was not to be.
I did find this amateur dive on the wreck that was carried out in 2009.
HMS Aboukir
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2011, 01:40 PM

that wreck film is awesome

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top