Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Re: What one thing gives you the most satisfaction

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
The one thing that gives me the most satisfaction is seeing how a rescue dog thrives when you adopt them. When they come to you from a rescue kennel they are usually very withdrawn, sometimes nervous, and generally miserable. In the case of my border collie who was about 6 months old when we got him from Dogs Trust (he is now 15) he had been found roaming the streets and was very withdrawn, obviously wasn't house trained and had no idea how to play with toys. The transformation over the months was incredible as he became more secure and has proved to be the most intelligent, loving and adorable dog you could wish to meet. I always think it takes about 9 - 12 months for a rescue to settle totally and for it's real character to show, but seeing the transformation in them over the months is most rewarding.
Buttercup, thanks for that little story, I love reading about animals (especially dogs) who are fortunate enough to come into the home of someone like you.

As I said on another OFF thread recently, those people who have never known the loyalty and devotion that a dog can bring into ones life are the unlucky ones.

You are right it can take time, sometimes even longer than 12 months, but to reverse the horrors that millions of humans routinely impose on dogs around the world must be so satisfying.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Buttercup, thanks for that little story, I love reading about animals (especially dogs) who are fortunate enough to come into the home of someone like you.

As I said on another OFF thread recently, those people who have never known the loyalty and devotion that a dog can bring into ones life are the unlucky ones.

You are right it can take time, sometimes even longer than 12 months, but to reverse the horrors that millions of humans routinely impose on dogs around the world must be so satisfying.
Hi Losos - I know - can't abide cruelty of any sort, either to animals or humans and can't understand it. Why some people have a dog and then treat it cruelly is totally beyond me. I would have been lost without my dogs when my husband died over three years ago. They kept me going and still do for that matter. My latest rescue is a Saluki. Have had her (Jasmine) since January and she is terrified of people, particularly men, but being with my other two confident dogs and getting lots of love and exercise she has come on in leaps and bounds and really makes me laugh.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

20-09-2010, 08:18 PM

What one thing gives you the most satisfaction

A damn good seeing to .....................

buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
A damn good seeing to .....................

I wondered how long it would be before a reply like this arrived!!!!!!
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

20-09-2010, 09:02 PM

I wondered how long it would be before a reply like this arrived!!!!!!

LOL

So you were expecting it then ?

I can see why , choosing a thread title like you did

No need to roll yer eyes though , unless youve forgotton what a " good seeing to " is like that is .

Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 08:10 AM

I think it a shame that a thread which is meant to be pleasant, should be spoilt with sexual innuendo!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 08:34 AM

I agree with Buttercup - seeing your Rescue dogs blossom is an amazing thing.
I work with children, and watching the shy / antisocial / untutored ones flower into nice kids gives you the same happy glow.
buttercup
Wiltshire

21-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by qetta ->
I think it a shame that a thread which is meant to be pleasant, should be spoilt with sexual innuendo!
Totally agree qetta. I absolutely hate that expression 'a good seeing to' which is extremely crude.
buttercup
Wiltshire

21-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I agree with Buttercup - seeing your Rescue dogs blossom is an amazing thing.
I work with children, and watching the shy / antisocial / untutored ones flower into nice kids gives you the same happy glow.
That must be wonderful claireandaisy.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Totally agree qetta. I absolutely hate that expression 'a good seeing to' which is extremely crude.
An usually implies abuse, imo!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top