Join for free
Page 11 of 19 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Re: A Weighty Subject.

Originally Posted by poppycock ->
i also use my fitness pal online as well its a really good site
I use Food Focus, Poppycock, it seems much the same. These sites really are a great help for keeping track, much better than having to write everything down..

Have a 'good' weekend all..
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Cookiecate, Your comments on the other thread are so true.

Geordiegirl, Type 2 Diabetes - bummer! A DiL has just been diagnosed too. She is also in bits today because she's had to have her beloved old dog Jess, PTS.

Rocky, take care & rest hun'.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 05:50 PM

Do you know I think all the diets in the world boil down to how much you put into your mouth. I refuse to waste money with slimming world, and various fat clubs around the country. I have really severe asthma and my doctor gave me a prescription for the gym its called something like new start. You get exercises to suit your health and diet advice and its all free. I check my calorie intake online as I said earlier. I am about 4 stone overweight due to lack of exercise. I started last week and have lost 4lbs. Onwards and upwards ladies and gents we can do it
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.

30-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Do you know I think all the diets in the world boil down to how much you put into your mouth. I refuse to waste money with slimming world, and various fat clubs around the country. I have really severe asthma and my doctor gave me a prescription for the gym its called something like new start. You get exercises to suit your health and diet advice and its all free. I check my calorie intake online as I said earlier. I am about 4 stone overweight due to lack of exercise. I started last week and have lost 4lbs. Onwards and upwards ladies and gents we can do it
Yes, I think it's the quantity & quality of our food, I'm trying very hard to ignore rubbish 'foods'.

You've made a great start Poppycock.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Thank you nuttygran its so nice to find a forum thats not full of text speak and people arguing. Im going to like it here.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Following my second (left) hip replacement I determined that I needed to strengthen my thigh muscles again and so signed on at a local gym. Went every week and spent 1 hour giving my thighs a real work out. After four months and while having a real good go on the step machine, had a sudden and excruciating pain in my chest. Came off the machine and sat on the ground, staff came to find out what had happened. I told them I had chest pains, they panicked and whistled up an ambulance. I spent the next four days in hospital, having been diagnosed with yet another (third) pulmonary emboli. Have subsequently had two more since then. As a consequence, I'm not too enamored of gyms and exercise and I definitely don't do diets !!!
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Following my second (left) hip replacement I determined that I needed to strengthen my thigh muscles again .........
If you want to strengthen up those Quads, forget the gym.

Get an all-in-one oven glove (the ones which are one strip of material and a 'pocket' at each end).

Put a weight in each pocket (tin of beans, half a brick, bag of sugar) which you are comfortable with.

Sit on the edge of the dinning table with your legs dangling and your knees against the table edge (put a towel underneath your leg for more comfort)

Put a leg out straight and place the oven glove over your ankle (make sure it's balanced).

Then slowly and smoothly lower the leg and lift it.

Do say 20 reps on each leg, and gradually (when it starts to become easy) increase the weight and the number of reps.

I was taught this years ago following a cartilage removal. My right thigh was 2" circumference less than my left, but this soon put that right.

Best of luck..............
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.

03-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Following my second (left) hip replacement I determined that I needed to strengthen my thigh muscles again and so signed on at a local gym. Went every week and spent 1 hour giving my thighs a real work out. After four months and while having a real good go on the step machine, had a sudden and excruciating pain in my chest. Came off the machine and sat on the ground, staff came to find out what had happened. I told them I had chest pains, they panicked and whistled up an ambulance. I spent the next four days in hospital, having been diagnosed with yet another (third) pulmonary emboli. Have subsequently had two more since then. As a consequence, I'm not too enamored of gyms and exercise and I definitely don't do diets !!!
Uncle Joe, did the people running the gym not inquire into your medical history? A gym I joined years ago, refused a woman who was epileptic, membership, until she had written permission from her GP.

Skip the dieting & exercise pet, just keep the rest of us entertained with your "advice."
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 07:18 PM

dieting too, got down to 11 stone and was ill last month and slept almost nonstop for 3 days, and my stupid body went into starvation and put 2 stone on..... off to docs tomorrow to see if she can help
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.

03-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by seaspirit ->
dieting too, got down to 11 stone and was ill last month and slept almost nonstop for 3 days, and my stupid body went into starvation and put 2 stone on..... off to docs tomorrow to see if she can help
Could it be fluid Seaspirit? I hope you're soon feeling better & your doc' is able to help.

Page 11 of 19 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top