Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Bird Table

I have just spend 15 minutes watching the birds.
2 Starlings trying to get on to the bird table. There is mesh surrounding it, but that species doesn't usually have a problem.
They got their heads through then paniced & pulled out several times, the first actually got on the table & was so surprised it shot out again, couldn't help laughing, they must be particularly fat Starlings those two, then another turned up, straight through the mesh & gobbled away, the first was fuming & got it itself & chased off the third. Then the second realising it was possible went in as well, both scoffed themselves for a moment or two then flew off. I think they must be a pair.
Blue Tit arrived next, straight in, eat & out again, but only to perch in the Buddleia beside the table. There must be insects on that because several birds by this time where in the Buddleia & appeared to be eating from it, not bothering about the food on the table.
I'll not cut it down for a while then.
There is food on the patio for the birds as well, but the Starlings ignored that as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Re: Bird Table

I've got 3 small bird tables Tiff, so they can all come and feed with not so much squabbling. If the big old Magpie's and pigeons are hogging one, the little Wrens and my Robin can use another.
What does annoy me though is when the damn squirrels come and stuff their faces and chuck everything about with gay abandon.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 07:36 PM

More people should just watch birds.Our seed is mainly occupied by lorikeets and when they've had enough they sit up in the branches having a snooze.But as soon as someone else appears they are back protecting their food.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 07:58 PM

We used to feed the birds more then we do now, but that's because we have hens and now a cat

I put different feeds in different areas, coconut in the shells, suet balls, seeds, animal fats , we get a good cross section

My fav are the robins. They come to the door for their meal worms
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 08:10 PM

I have bird feeders as well, on a pole in the grass. The bird table is on the patio. I have a new one to go out as well, but the garden needs a tidy before I can put it out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 11:32 PM

I get a lot of crimson parrots

Rainbow Lorikeets. The only bad thing about parrots is that they only squawk, song birds they are not.

and occasionally these bastards

who I trap and kill - they're Indian Myna birds

As for the rest, Willie Wagtails, Wattle birds, Sulphur Crests, Pee Wees, Magpies basically all the usual for this area. I don't feed them (bad policy in my opinion) but I have a bird bath for water. The honey eaters come after my Grevilleas, the Magpies and other butcher birds for the skinks and lizards.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

30-12-2016, 12:23 AM

I like your bird photo's, Bruce. Guess Myna's are not native then.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I like your bird photo's, Bruce. Guess Myna's are not native then.
No, they are a pest, they are aggressive and drive native birds out of their nests, unfortunately they seem to learn because there are plenty in the area but they avoid my garden. I only catch young ones now
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, they are a pest, they are aggressive and drive native birds out of their nests, unfortunately they seem to learn because there are plenty in the area but they avoid my garden. I only catch young ones now
Don't tell Morris

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 02:31 PM

Myna birds are extremely intelligent and many in UK have them for pets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top