Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2020, 11:48 PM

A freak accident - and a warning

I saw in our local paper today, that a pub in one of the local villages , had an unusual fire.

Firefighters found the source of the smoke to be a pile of tea towels and cloths which had just been freshly laundered and tumble-dryed.

The landlord said, after the towels were collected from the dryer, they were put then into a wash basket and taken downstairs to the pub.
He said - " Every week it is the same routine. I tumble-dried them and left them in the basket and went out.
They started smouldering and were like that for three hours. We were so lucky there wasn't any fire damage."

The article went on to say: "Although the phenomenom of this type of spontaneous combustion is very rare, there are nationally reported cases of significant damage being caused to different premises.
These types of fires can happen when tea towels still contain residues of fats and grease, despite having been washed. If they are taken from the tumble-dryer and piled up, they may still hold heat within the centre of the stack."

I remember being told about a similar thing to this happening when we do ironing too.
When we iron with a hot iron, then fold and stack things up the heat can't escape from the material and can start smouldering later in the airing cupboard.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 12:11 AM

Re: A freak accident - and a warning

As I never iron anymore I am in no danger
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

That's an idea Muddy, best not to - just incase.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 08:21 AM

I'll bear that warning in mind - thanks Mups.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 09:15 AM

Me neither! Life is too short to go about in crease free clothes and sleep in beautifully ironed bed linen! I stopped it some years ago.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 09:27 AM

I would never have imagined something like that could happen, I will keep it in mind, Mups.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 09:39 AM

Something to think about, Mups.

Thanks
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:13 AM

Lord , what a surprise ,could never have imagined that
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:22 AM

That's interesting. I would never have imagined.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:28 AM

Ditto!
I only iron bed linen when we have guests coming to stay

Scary story though Tumble driers seem to be a bit of a fire hazard, what with fluff and lint build up etc.
I still have the Creda tumble drier I bought circa 1974, it still works (shouldn't have said that! ) but I very rarely use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top