Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Re: Global Warming

So who can shine a light on this global warming lark. Apparently if the sun comes out and we have lovely hot weather the ice caps melt and f**** it all up by cooling down the ocean - right? So how do we get permanent nice warm weather over in GB? They have to freeze to death somewhere else? I know I seem a bit selfish but on the other hand I likes the warm weather - sod the ice bergs, snow and that; some other country can have all that stuff if they want it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
So who can shine a light on this global warming lark. Apparently if the sun comes out and we have lovely hot weather the ice caps melt and f**** it all up by cooling down the ocean - right? So how do we get permanent nice warm weather over in GB? They have to freeze to death somewhere else? I know I seem a bit selfish but on the other hand I likes the warm weather - sod the ice bergs, snow and that; some other country can have all that stuff if they want it.
Know how you feel MKJ!

I was born in Malta to a British Royal Navy family and I still hate this country's weather!

I'm Mediterranean by birth and I'd much rather be there than here but I can't afford it! stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I got fed up with the whole thing too Mark, we are at the mercy of the elements, the climate/weather can do what it likes with us it's a simple as that, as far as I'm concerned the 'Experts' are just groping in the dark, the Mother of all Tsunami's could swallow us all up tomorrow without a word of warning, they haven't got the slightest idea of what to do if a large meteorite hit us. The whole idea is to keep you scared all the time, people are easier to manage that way.
I just laugh it all off, why not, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it so I may as well get a chuckle out of it while I'm still breathing, relax and have a drink, I can't wait for the next sensational scientific revelation, great fun they are.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Of course there have always been natural extremes of weather but I blame the industrial revolution and 'human progress' for the increase in global warming and the potential for climate change.
We may have been mining and burning coal worldwide since Roman times but this increased dramatically with the industrial revolution . This was followed by the development of the internal combustion engine and the use of petroleum all creating more discharges into the atmosphere. Add to this worldwide mass deforestation.

I believe any measures taken now to affect climate change may have very little effect on damage which began over two centuries ago the consequences of which we only now beginning to realise.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 07:59 PM

You know you have said something there meg, you believe, and that's all any of us can do with this even the scientists approach it more like a religion than a science with belief and prediction !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;377999]Of course there have always been natural extremes of weather but I blame the industrial revolution and 'human progress' for the increase in global warming and the potential for climate change.
We may have been mining and burning coal worldwide since Roman times but this increased dramatically with the industrial revolution . This was followed by the development of the internal combustion engine and the use of petroleum all creating more discharges into the atmosphere. Add to this worldwide mass deforestation.

I believe any measures taken now to affect climate change may have very little effect on damage which began over two centuries ago the consequences of which we only now beginning to realise.[/QUOTE]

I think you've got a point there Meg. Too little - too late.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The Earth has been through unimaginable turmoil since it's formation and will continue to overheat and freeze, it's the way it 'breathes'.
I like that Jem.

Many ancient cultures had a high regard for their environment and some went as far as to say that the planet Earth itself was in fact a living, breathing entity too and should be respected and treated accordingly or the Gods would punish mankind.

The advance of science has been remarkable on this planet in the relatively short span of time man has inhabited it and come to dominate but science isn't directed solely for the benefit of man all the time it advances the technology that can potentially annihilate mankind and destroy the planet for all living things too.

I remember our physics teacher at school telling us that 'every action has a reaction' but the pursuit of absolute power through science almost ignores that fact doesn't it? stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 12:30 PM

I believe that Steve, the world is a living thing, it was born and it will die, it gets sick and repairs itself again. We are just a form of bacteria on it's skin that has to be kept in check, and natural disasters are probably it's defense against infection, who knows?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 01:08 PM

That's a really interesting way of looking at it Jem. Food for thought.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I believe that Steve, the world is a living thing, it was born and it will die, it gets sick and repairs itself again. We are just a form of bacteria on it's skin that has to be kept in check, and natural disasters are probably it's defense against infection, who knows?
I've long thought of the human race that way. It's a good point you make.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top