Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Fracking? Nah - Make it Poo Power!

Researchers at Singapore's Nanyang Technological University (NTU) have been working on ways to make towns and cities more sustainable by taking waste from housing and turning it into energy.

The team created a new type of toilet system which turns human waste into biogas - which can be used for cooking and generating electricity - and biodiesel.

This seems a really good idea (and I wish the Brits had thought of it) and anything that deals with the problem of effluence and not having to use Nuclear has to be good news. I remember David Bellamy saying years ago that poo is a very underrated commodity - it seems he knew what he was talking about

The video in the link explains more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24651214

Now given that there have been a few suggestions of alternative power over the years, I wonder if this one will make it through without the oil moguls putting a stop to it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Re: Fracking? Nah - Make it Poo Power!

We are dreadfully NIMBY in this country though, when they wanted to build an incinerator near here the fuss was enormous, they did build one eventually and it of course doesn't work as well as it should have done because it isn't where they wanted to put it and is smaller than originally planned.

It seems we all want power and this sounds like a good idea but we don't want it any where near us
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Re: Fracking? Nah - Make it Poo Power!

I have just found this article and it seems it is very viable: http://www.agrowingculture.org/2011/...g-human-waste/

It wouldn't bother me having it located near to where I live as they seem to be covering all the bases with regard to possible problems and, more importantly, it's all natural.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top