Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Home or Place to Live in ?

There is a lot of news coverage about the shortage of new homes, but little mention of existing empty homes. I guess a lot of us live in compromise homes, they nearly fit our requirements but have irritating or bad aspects.

Over here on the Wight there are dozens of ticky-tacky timber framed houses going up at high speed which will probably collapse through decay in twenty plus years. Utility housing and blocks of flats, all built mainly of timber with usual high noise and vibration transmission. British short-term thinking to the fore!

With older folks, bungalow seem an attractive proposition, but they take up twice the land?

Any pointers from where you live?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Re: Home or Place to Live in ?

Best build recent years IMO was the local asylum was turned into flats and apartments, absolutely beautiful they are, also Buddhists bought the chapel on the complex and turned that into a temple and housing for their monks another beautiful building.

Other than that they are building on bigger gardens which IMO is a shame as there are few enough houses with nice size gardens taking them and building on them is making homes too close together.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 12:39 PM

There is a brand new town being built not far from here. At present they are widening all roads in the area & some roads are closed. The town is being built on farmland, that can not be good, but I bet the farmers are rubbing their hands in glee as they walk into their banks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 12:54 PM

There are 800 new boxes going up on the edge of town, heaven knows how all the cars are going to be accommodated on a main road that is already full to overflowing .

I would like to move to a one or two bedroom house or bungalow which would free up my 3 bedroom house for a family. I have a number of elderly neighbours in a similar position but there is nothing available in our price range (the cost of moving has to be factored in) .

I wish a little more thought was given by councils to what is really required by local populations .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 03:24 PM

I'm know I am so fortunate to live in a large pre-war 3-bedroom end of terrace house, The bedrooms are huge, as is the bathroom and rear garden. We practically gutted it when we first moved in over 40 years ago but I love my home and it would be a wrench if and when we ever move. This was a family home for eight of us originally, two big for he who must obey, me and the two pups now really but when I see the size of the new matchbox bungalows which seem to be the only ones on offer around here, there is no way I would move into one. All the beautiful large bungalows never come up for sale or rental. I expect the homeowners or those living in them realise how lucky they are to be there as well.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 03:39 PM

One of the big property developers is seeking to build 190 new homes in our village, and the one adjoining it. No one around here wants more houses, it would certainly spoil things for those living here already, hopefully they won't get planning permission. Besides which, the schools are full to bursting, and the Health Centres are overstretched.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 04:19 PM

I know it's horrible when it happens our villages here are all now really part of the town no break between them any more. I'm afraid I have to say if we have had to put up with that then others may have to accept it too as people have to live somewhere and round here we are about as crowded as we can be without putting two three families I each house !
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2016, 06:47 PM

Thanks for your interesting replies. Here on the IoW, called The Garden Isle, will soon be renamed The Concrete Isle. Visual disasters in some areas.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2016, 12:30 AM

Just heard on the news that the first houses at the new town are on the market. I didn't realise they would be ready to sell that quickly.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2016, 06:48 AM

The problem is that there are just too many people .
Where will it end ?
Will there be no more green spaces just acres of bricks and mortar?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top