Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
gallina
New Member!
Manchester,UK
gallina is female 

10-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Re: Raynauds anyone?

I use hand warmers that OH buys for me at his golf club. You shake them and they stay warm for up to 8 hours, so are great if you are going to be out for quite a while. Even if you put them one side you can still use them later in the day. Once they have "died" though that's it. But I think they are good because they are quite small and fit inside your glove. I use one and change them round from one hand to another. Having said that, my last gloves I bought at TK Maxx are very good, and I haven't needed the hand warmers, not even in the recent very cold spell.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2010, 04:06 PM

I think the ones I have posted are the same as those I have used. You 'charge' them by boiling for 10 minutes I think. Then, magically, they remain ready but dormant for days, weeks,whatever, until you click the little metal disc, when they just get hot and stay hot for several hours - I can't remember exactly. I think I got mine from Boots.
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by gallina ->
I also suffer from Raynaulds disease. The doctor said it was the nerve endings in your hands or feet reacting too quickly to outside stimuli. No cure, just keep hands warm.

Excruciating at times, I find it catches me out when I am not expecting it. I can walk the dog in all weathers, and as long as I have my warm ski gloves, plus all the other warm clothes I am fine. Then I go to the supermarket and forget to take my gloves in with me. By the time I reach the tills the ends of my fingers hands are white and have no sensation.

At home just getting something out of the fridge can trigger it, and I have to wear gloves to get something out of the freezer. Swimming is a no no, because the combination of water and feeling cold or cool also sets it off.

Even in the summer on a hot day, it can happen if I touch something cold and wet (that's why I drink red wine not white!!) You would laugh if you saw me driving the car - sometimes, I might be wearing a T shirt because it is warm, but still have to wear gloves because the steering wheel is cold to the touch. Most times when I am driving in the winter I have to put my hands by the heating vents to defrost them, about ten minutes after starting off. After that they are OK.

It is manageable, but you have to think ahead and always have some gloves in the car or in a coat pocket, whatever the time of year.

People say to rub your hands together or shake them to get the circulation back, but that doesn't work. The only thing that works is to have a heat source on or close to your hand, such as a fire, warm water to plunge your hands in, a radiator that you can hold your hand against.

I read some years ago that Vitamin E can help, but have not tried it.
That is exactly it!
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Having a really bad time with this at mo, my right hand swollen from Chilblains & making things very restricting............very fed up
Sorry I know there are people worse off than me....................
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sweep ->
Having a really bad time with this at mo, my right hand swollen from Chilblains & making things very restricting............very fed up
Sorry I know there are people worse off than me....................
Oh dear Sweep, I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering so much I truly hope things improve soon for you.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Sorry to read this Sweep-can't be easy for you but I really hope that things get better for you soon.
Sweep
Kent UK

02-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Driving me nuts.......having to think before everything I do, even washing/drying hair all righthanded 'things' so awkward.
But hopefully if/when the weather warms up things may improve!

Sorry to moan ;(
windhound
Surrey,UK
windhound is female 

08-03-2010, 12:39 AM

I have suffered from this for years,and so did my sister,she was a landscape gardener and found it very difficult sometimes when she was planting,if she did not wear gloves,as she was in danger of cutting her fingers without feeling it(she was a smoker) on stones and glass.I just get it in certain fingers,but it is so painful when they come back. I have tried acupuncture and reflexology but they don't alleviate it completely. I found some mitts which have a gel lining(at a chemists) you put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and they stay warm for about an hour,they did help. It's all to do with circulation,and if yours does not work that well it is something we have to live with,unfortunately.
Sweep
Kent UK

08-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by windhound ->
I have suffered from this for years,and so did my sister,she was a landscape gardener and found it very difficult sometimes when she was planting,if she did not wear gloves,as she was in danger of cutting her fingers without feeling it(she was a smoker) on stones and glass.I just get it in certain fingers,but it is so painful when they come back. I have tried acupuncture and reflexology but they don't alleviate it completely. I found some mitts which have a gel lining(at a chemists) you put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and they stay warm for about an hour,they did help. It's all to do with circulation,and if yours does not work that well it is something we have to live with,unfortunately.
Agree it is something we have to live with & my problem this time has been the Chilblains too - but I am pleased to report I have the use of my fingers back on my right hand & the swelling is subsiding, still purple but gosh it is good to be able to do things again( I know I am lucky)

Thanks for letting me moan x

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top