Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Re: Daily spend diary.

Fab, there are a fair few of us then! Martin Lewis would be proud of us.

Seems to be a generational thing. My older sister admits to doing it, and I tried to get mum to do the same.

Yes the regular diary does flag up price increases, and the varying costs of vegetables, for example. I also know that a pint of milk in a large supermarket is .49p but in Co-op it's .57p. Bread costs can vary too.

Yes, I have to admit food does get thrown away if I buy too much or don't cook as much as I should, letting it go off. But I do my best to find the cheaper options.

I have quite a few relations who would benefit from keeping a diary, I tell you!!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 09:31 PM

Very interesting & helpful thread
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 09:35 PM

I have a maths phobia, just don't spend much!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 09:37 AM

I utilise the 'spreadsheet' facility in 'Windows Office' and run an income/expenditure double entry book keeping system which I cross check against my monthly bank statement so that I can tell to the 1p exactly how much money I have and how much I have spent on what and where.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Do you bother to keep a check on what you spend?

For a few years now I have kept a record, in a small notebook for each month, of every single penny I spend. I did start to put it on a sreadsheet, but then got out of that habit.
Funnily enough I still keep a spreadsheet of regular expenses such as rates, phone, water, electric, car rego, insurances etc which I started many many years ago when I was a working, single parent bringing up kids and which has since become a rather useless habit.

Looking at it I can tell you that currently all these expenses amount to $220 a fortnight and that February is the worse month when a lot of bills coincide and I shell out $1200 whereas the best month is June when I pay out a mere $79. How's that for totally useless info?

Recently one of my sons asked me for help budgeting and coincidentally I came across a little book for a few bucks in Big W designed to record all personal expenditure. I bought him one, telling him that this was the way to start budgeting by finding out where his money was going. Never heard another word about it

BTW to keep an eye on my bank accounts I use a rather old copy of Microsoft Money (they stopped making it years ago) but it is simple to use and does the job well so I have never seen any reason to change. You can still pick up copies cheaply on eBay.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 04:29 PM

Bruce, I keep a stash of cash books (they are quite small) and use a new one for each new year.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 08:37 PM

I keep a spreadsheet of weekly outgoings. OH kept them in his head and that worked for us, but I have to have things written in front of me - gives me a sense of control of where money goes and where I can make savings.

Gwyn
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 08:51 AM

I used to keep records, but such information never influenced my erratic spending habits, so now I don't, and spend less time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top