Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 03:10 AM

Re: The global warming debate

The reason Greenland got that name was from the Vikings according to some, they settled there 1,000 years ago, they used to farm the land and keep cattle.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 02:44 AM

Further to the debate, why are new TV's designed to be on standby all the time, we can't switch ours off unless we unplug it.

Why do new washing machines only have a cold-fill port, older models had both hot and cold ports, most homes have a hot water tank full of hot water.

What a waste of energy in both appliances, TV's on standby can burn the same amount as a small electric bulb and washing machines have to heat up cold water unnecessarily.
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 07:50 AM

I read a fair bit on the subject and -as with numbers you can make an argument for either side. Unquestionably the oceans are rising -and our weather patterns are getting more diverse
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 10:14 AM

I think the concept of global warming is undoubtedly true and the phenomenon started to develop significantly after the start of the industrial revolution. We only have to look at the recent opening up of the northeast passage between Asia and Europe to know something drastic is happening to our climate.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8264445.stm

Only now are we beginning to see the consequences of the damage which began to take place unseen all those years ago. We can't stop that which has already begun and we are already over a hundred years behind so to speak when trying to do anything about it . Neither can we really know what the outcome of the damage will be or if action taken now will help very much at all.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 08:58 PM

I think we're supposed to be calling it "climate change" now rather than global warming ...as has been pointed out here it certainly hasn't been warmer here this Summer, nor in the UK. I'm inclined to think from what I've read that it's part of a natural cycle, and exacerbated since the Industrial revolution. The melting ice caps and rising ocean levels are a problem: many of the Pacific islands may disappear and half of Bangladesh be under water ......but light bulbs aren't going to help much with that. oh, and agree completely about TVs and standby !! Nonsense!
misty
Northamptonshire UK
misty is female  misty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Yes I agree also. It's all about money, and big business at the end of the day, well that's imho! Just the same with the amount of polution all these planes pump out! The sun seems stronger than usual for this time of year. When the sun is hidden, it get's quiet chilly. No doubt that the sea levels are rising.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2009, 04:32 PM

I'm concerned about the sea level too. Imagine losing Venice, a lot of the Netherlands, and what's left of poor New Orleans!
nero
Central Scotland

23-09-2009, 12:53 AM

The planet is constantly changing and will continue to change no matter how they try and prevent it.

You cannot fight nature, the effects of mans activities are being very over-rated IMO, the earth has went through many stages over the ages from ice ages to continental drift, Scotland was once part of the American continent, it broke away and drifted eastwards and finished up nudging England, they know this through geological substrata, the "great glen" fault was the joining point.
nero
Central Scotland

07-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Just watched a program about the scab-plains 200 miles east of Seattle in Washington State, it seems the whole area was devastated by floods eons ago, there's a dry waterfall that made Niagara look like a trickle when water flowed over it, there's gorges over 1000 feet deep, all due to a massive flooding.

Now I'm all in favour of clean air and cleaner automobiles, I'm also in favour of conserving energy but the "save the planet" gurus are scaremongering IMO, nothing man can do will prevent nature from taking it's course, all the massive flooding in that area happened before man had evolved.
nero
Central Scotland

28-02-2010, 06:29 PM

The Aussies are up in arms over alleged falsification of data by the IPCC in East Anglia, . . Australia is the largest quarry on the planet, . . the sub-continent abounds in minerals especially coal, . . now they're quite right if the accusations are true, . . I'm all in favour of clean air and a clean environment but if it were up to the "green" brigade we'd still be on horses and sailing in clippers.

The planet, according to sensible scientists, goes through natural phases like the last ice age and the arid times before even that when the planet boiled, . . man was not around during these times so we weren't to blame, . . it's time the doom-and-gloom boys gave it a rest, . . here's a link for you to read.

http://climatechangeskeptic.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top