Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 10:39 AM

Re: Was It Really Better ?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps they do. Still, a lot cheaper than making new programmes.
Yes definitely I was just unsure about actors status I know many rely on these payments so it wouldn't sit well with me to think they are not benefitting.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
yes, the epitome has to be qvc and other 'shopping channels'. Whereas most other channels interrupt their programmes to insert money-making adverts, these just don't bother with programmes and have wall to wall adverts!
Needless to say, none of them even feature on my channel list.

Having said that, when we first got our new tv i accidentally watched a shopping channel. I remember it distinctly. The 'presenter' was demonstrating a 'collapsible' ladder, singing its praises and telling us just how strong and stable it is. Then he began to climb it and it promptly collapsed! (he hadn't locked it off properly).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 10:55 AM

Yes, the epitome has to be QVC and other 'shopping channels'. Whereas most other channels interrupt their programmes to insert money-making adverts, these just don't bother with programmes and have wall to wall adverts!
Needless to say, none of them even feature on my channel list.

Having said that, when we first got our new TV I accidentally watched a shopping channel. I remember it distinctly. The 'presenter' was demonstrating a 'collapsible' ladder, singing its praises and telling us just how strong and stable it is. Then he began to climb it and it promptly collapsed! (He hadn't locked it off properly).
I found this link which sounds like the guy you were talking about JBR.

It's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKsaxP-M-Hc
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I found this link which sounds like the guy you were talking about JBR.

It's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKsaxP-M-Hc
Hilarious. It somehow makes it even funnier because the man is wearing a suit.

It's very similar to the one I saw, although that one is American. Actually, the British one I saw wasn't quite as good as that. He was wearing working clothes too.

Having said that, I have a ladder that, on the face of it, looks quite like one of those. Mine, though, is reliable and won't budge once properly locked off.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-08-2016, 11:22 AM

Hilarious. It somehow makes it even funnier because the man is wearing a suit.

It's very similar to the one I saw, although that one is American. Actually, the British one I saw wasn't quite as good as that. He was wearing working clothes too.

Having said that, I have a ladder that, on the face of it, looks quite like one of those. Mine, though, is reliable and won't budge once properly locked off.
What's even funnier is that even after it had bent in the middle, he still though it was locked. Obviously never been on one in his life.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What's even funnier is that even after it had bent in the middle, he still though it was locked. Obviously never been on one in his life.
Yes, that was really funny.

"OK, it's locked now!" Then falls flat on his face. Actually, I wonder whether he knocked out a couple of teeth in that fall.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Just a brief comment-one can still get bones be it for the dog or the stock pot. Support your local butcher.
You must have nice butchers with a backroom . My butcher ,whom I do support, doesn't keep them any longer. Apparently they have to be cooked now before purchase and are sent (or sold) to another place.

Does anyone still have Bob -a -Job week ? I think it was the cubs or boy scouts that did it. Very few of them about now, blowing their trumpets as they paraded around the roads.

The 'Bob' might be something nearer to £1 these days, I imagine.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 01:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk

No wonder we're all over the edge these days.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Mmm, there are a few things I miss from my younger days.

My lovely mum and dad

My two gorgeous brothers

My taste buds

My dress size 10

Being able to go into a shop and choose pure silk knickers and matching bra. On bad days now I even have to use a bra extender!! sob!

My boobs forever in a sulk without my push up bra

My libido that I had when young

Being able to chomp on Nuts without worrying whether I will crack a tooth! Last time that happened I had just bitten a Bon Bon!

Not knowing somewhere here when someone asks for directions. I was born and bred here and knew every street, road, avenue, way, drive, and unmarked lane,Every single place was named after either a tree, bush, shrub or flower, but because so many new estates have flourished over the years with the weirdest names, I am now completely lost in my own town. Sad.

I miss the days when words weren't hijacked to mean something else and mealtimes were Breakfast, Dinner and Tea. Nowadays if you say Dinner instead of Lunch people look at you weirdly or say they are doing something in the evening.

Finally, I miss those wonderful days of being young when the days seemed to always be long, hot, forever sunny and carefree. Days when we were on school holidays,when friends called for my brothers and me and we were gone for the whole day and only returned in time for tea.

I don't ever remember our parents combing the streets looking for us? they would ask where we were going and let us get on with it.

Besides the above, not much really!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-08-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
The 'Bob' might be something nearer to £1 these days, I imagine.
Same as the tooth fairy. She used to bring us a tanner; now it's likely a pound or even more.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top