Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 10:06 AM

Re: Decanting milk....

Just in passing.
In Mexico, they have boxed milk as well as bottled milk.
The boxed milk, which sits on an unrefrigerated shelf, lasts and lasts. I haven't tested it but I feel certain it would last several weeks as long as it is refrigerated once opened.
Tastes exactly the same as bottled milk.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's interesting. I'm gonna experiment with that.

Are you bored?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 11:49 AM

Just an interesting snippet....

My PE teacher at school in the early sixties used to drink a pint of sour milk each morning. He reckoned that his body had got used to the bacteria and had built up a resistance to infection...He's dead now though!....(only joking) I don't know....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Just in passing.
In Mexico, they have boxed milk as well as bottled milk.
The boxed milk, which sits on an unrefrigerated shelf, lasts and lasts. I haven't tested it but I feel certain it would last several weeks as long as it is refrigerated once opened.
Tastes exactly the same as bottled milk.

Are you talking about the Soya, Almond and Oat type 'milks' Bakerman?
Over here they come in cartons too, and have very different life exectancies and storage instructions to fresh cows milk.

I have seen some kept on shop shelves, and some on the cold shelves so wasn't sure of the correct way to store these as I have 2 or 3 myself incase I am ill and can't get out. So I phoned the manufacturers to ask.

They said storage of these depends on what is written on the outer carton. I have some Unsweetened Soya milk with an expiry date of November '20 and it doesn't need refridgeration till it's opened.
Yet I have some Oat Milk which says on the storage instructions it has to be refridgerated to store it.

Just to confuse us a little more, the lady told me some cartons have "Perfectly Chilled" written in bigger letters on the front of the box, and these one's must be kept refridgerated all the time.
They have to be used within 5 days of opening.

I find them quite pleasant, and certainly handy to keep incase you can't get out for any reason.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You could also make ice cubes out of orange juice, blueberry juice and grape juice......stick them all together and make a 'Rubics Cube'......
A Rubice Cube.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just an interesting snippet....

My PE teacher at school in the early sixties used to drink a pint of sour milk each morning. He reckoned that his body had got used to the bacteria and had built up a resistance to infection...He's dead now though!....(only joking) I don't know....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-03-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Are you talking about the Soya, Almond and Oat type 'milks' Bakerman?
Over here they come in cartons too, and have very different life exectancies and storage instructions to fresh cows milk.

I have seen some kept on shop shelves, and some on the cold shelves so wasn't sure of the correct way to store these as I have 2 or 3 myself incase I am ill and can't get out. So I phoned the manufacturers to ask.

They said storage of these depends on what is written on the outer carton. I have some Unsweetened Soya milk with an expiry date of November '20 and it doesn't need refridgeration till it's opened.
Yet I have some Oat Milk which says on the storage instructions it has to be refridgerated to store it.

Just to confuse us a little more, the lady told me some cartons have "Perfectly Chilled" written in bigger letters on the front of the box, and these one's must be kept refridgerated all the time.
They have to be used within 5 days of opening.

I find them quite pleasant, and certainly handy to keep incase you can't get out for any reason.

Yes Mups, they are basically the equivalent of fresh and long life but not made from milk. I haven't tried them but the OAT-LY brand is very popular.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
It isn't, it's usually fine until it goes off which is always longer than "once opened consume within 3 days". However I'm not a calf so I don't drink it.
You are a human though Ray, and milk provides many things that your body needs each day.......Look at this...

NUTRITION
5 Ways That Drinking Milk Can Improve Your Health
Milk has been enjoyed throughout the world for thousands of years.

By definition, it’s a nutrient-rich fluid that female mammals produce to feed their young.

The most commonly consumed types come from cows, sheep and goats.

Western countries drink cow’s milk most frequently.

Milk consumption is a hotly debated topic in the nutrition world, so you might wonder if it’s healthy or harmful.

Below are 5 science-backed health benefits of milk so you can decide if it’s the right choice for you.

1. Milk Is Packed With Nutrients
The nutritional profile of milk is impressive.

After all, it’s designed to fully nourish newborn animals.

Just one cup (244 grams) of whole cow’s milk contains (2):

Calories: 146
Protein: 8 grams
Fat: 8 grams
Calcium: 28% of the RDA
Vitamin D: 24% of the RDA
Riboflavin (B2): 26% of the RDA
Vitamin B12: 18% of the RDA
Potassium: 10% of the RDA
Phosphorus: 22% of the RDA
Selenium: 13% of the RDA
Milk is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including “nutrients of concern,” which are under-consumed by many populations.

It provides potassium, B12, calcium and vitamin D, which are lacking in many diets.

Milk is also a good source of vitamin A, magnesium, zinc and thiamine (B1).

Additionally, it’s an excellent source of protein and contains hundreds of different fatty acids, including conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and omega-3s.

Conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acids are linked to many health benefits, including a reduced risk of diabetes and heart disease.

The nutritional content of milk varies, depending on factors like its fat content and the diet and treatment of the cow it came from.

For example, milk from cows that eat mostly grass contains significantly higher amounts of conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acids.

Also, organic and grass-fed cow’s milk contains higher amounts of beneficial antioxidants, such as vitamin E and beta-carotene, which help reduce inflammation and fight oxidative stress (12
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-03-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A Rubice Cube.
Sorry mart I meant to say 'Rubiks' cube.....

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Aaaw... I've gone all goey...

It wasn't the expense though, it was throwing something way if it might be scarce in the shops.

Why is milk only ok for 3 days once opened anyway? I'm sure milk used to last all week when were younger.
We get the larger jugs of milk Pesta and I am sure we keep it once opened longer than three days. It never stays out of the fridge and we have never suffered any ill effects. I never realised it shouldn't be kept longer than three days and use my nose and eyes to check it is OK.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top