Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Re: Eating in the uk in the fifties

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
That reminded me of other things my Nan would cook - suet puddings, absolutely gorgeous: spotted dick and jam roly poly, I really miss those. I've had a go at making them but they just don't taste the same. I even wrap them up in a teatowel, as she did, to boil them in and still they don't taste as nice; maybe I used a different washing powder

Karen darlin' - suet pudding. Make the pudding mix, roll it out on a pastry board, then roll it up (like a sausage) and wrap it in a 'proper' pudding cloth, or (nowadays) kitchen foil. Tie up tightly with butchers' string and either boil in a saucepan or steam in a steamer. When cooked (approx 1 1/2 Hrs) remove from heat, unwrap, slice and pour over golden syrup - absolutely delicious!!! - its also possible to make bacon pudding using this same recipe too - after rolling out, place strips of streaky bacon on the pudding mix, sprinkle liberally with sage & onion and parsley and thyme stuffing mix and roll up and wrap as before and cook.
Serve with boiled potatoes, veg and gravy - super comfort food.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 10:50 AM

That's another thing I've remembered now - she used to use string to tie it. Yes, the golden syrup was a must on Spotted Dick - even cold and toasted afterwards, out came the syrup. I'd never thought of using bacon.

As you have quite rightly said - real comfort food. My eldest granddaughter and I were discussing this a couple of days ago. How come that in those days, people ate things like suet puddings, cooked in lard (including pastries), sugar in abundance, everything fried or roasted, butter (margerine (or spread if you prefer) was only good for cooking) on everything - how come my Nan lived to be 89 and my mother is still going strong at 82? According to the health 'experts' - shouldn't they have died long before that age?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
That's another thing I've remembered now - she used to use string to tie it. Yes, the golden syrup was a must on Spotted Dick - even cold and toasted afterwards, out came the syrup. I'd never thought of using bacon.

As you have quite rightly said - real comfort food. My eldest granddaughter and I were discussing this a couple of days ago. How come that in those days, people ate things like suet puddings, cooked in lard (including pastries), sugar in abundance, everything fried or roasted, butter (margerine (or spread if you prefer) was only good for cooking) on everything - how come my Nan lived to be 89 and my mother is still going strong at 82? According to the health 'experts' - shouldn't they have died long before that age?

No Karen darlin' - because they didn't eat 'junk' food, - whatever they ate, they made themselves from 'fresh' ingredients.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No Karen darlin' - because they didn't eat 'junk' food, - whatever they ate, they made themselves from 'fresh' ingredients.
I tend to agree with you on that one - I don't think it's so much what we eat, it's the way it's prepared and what is added to it. Thank goodness for my mother's stock in trade (pun intended) as I have passed those skills on to my daughter as well. Now my eldest granddaughter is 'Nanny, can you show me how to make this .... ' it makes me smile when I invite my son for Sunday dinner and he'll say 'I can't mum, she's (his wife) cooking this week' and the look of abject misery on his face is so funny.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top