Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 05:16 PM

Re: Second Hand Books.

Never heard of that one, perhaps that Flatley dancer could help you.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 06:43 PM

I go to the library about every three weeks and usually get three books out, usually one is ok, last time all three were rubbish.
My favourite treat is a trip to the local Book Barn, over a million books, most just £1each, the smell is wonderful!
Did you know you can buy old book scented candles?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 07:04 PM

I like the idea of old book scented candles. Where can you get them, TessA?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by tessa ->
i go to the library about every three weeks and usually get three books out, usually one is ok, last time all three were rubbish.
My favourite treat is a trip to the local book barn, over a million books, most just £1each, the smell is wonderful!
Did you know you can buy old book scented candles?
yuck!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:39 PM

Well, I suppose you get your Five a Day in a second hand book!
A bit of apple, a bit of banana, a bit of tomato and maybe a dribble of vegetable or carrot or coriander soup?!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:21 PM

I can't remember Tiff, you'll have to Google it. I know I came across them a couple of years ago, I'll have a search too!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:18 PM

I really must learn to read one day before I leave it too late.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

14-03-2017, 12:03 AM

Frostbeard I think is who sells those candles on Etsy
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I've found the odd dust mite, but bed bugs are surely far to big to take shelter in a book & they prefer mattress fiber anyway.
I've never seen an actual bed bug but I am sure I've been bitten by one and I think they must be tiny when they hatch or the eggs must be small enough to fall between the folds of a book.

It's a new phobia I have since a friend had a bug infestation last year. Even though I knew that it wasn't possible for them to fall on my head or down my neck from the ceiling I would feel itchy the second I walked into the house & for the rest of the day/night. I did sleep in one of the beds before I knew and I was being bitten by something all night. When you read up on them they say that you can transport them in suitcases and clothing, ugh!

It's made me hypersensitive about second hand furniture and other things that may have eggs or nymphs.

But bugs aside, to those who say they spray and wipe books, I wouldn't bother. The dirtiest objects ever are laptop and phone keyboards, light switches and door handles. Unless you start obsessively cleaning like Melvin in "as good as it gets" you are bound to have a healthy coating of germs just via normal living. I'm pretty hygiene conscious but don't think it's easy to transmit germs on books. The material isn't the best for sustaining life, I think the paper soaks up their moisture.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

14-03-2017, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think I'd rather risk my dogs than Febreze Jimmy.

https://healthywildandfree.com/16-su...l-immediately/
Holy cats!!!

Didn't know that, Mups. If that site is legit, that's a worry!

Now I'll have to spray my books with something to get rid of the Febreeze.

Actually, I don't use it on every book, just those whose covers look obviously grimey. And I wipe it off straight away.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top