Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Re: What has disconcerted you most?

I think for me it was the Dunblane Massacre and the cover up that surrounds it.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 04:28 PM

Many of the events people have mentioned affected me, but the one which I felt most personally was the Bradford City Fire in 1985. I was watching TV when the fire was broadcast live (not as "news" - the match was being televised). The most horrible part was when one poor guy staggered out of the burning stand on to the pitch in flames and eventually collapsed - literally dying in front of the TV cameras. The reason it affected me so personally was that 24 years before, a close friend of mine, Paul, had been burnt to death in a barn fire. I had hidden the memory away, but in the weeks after Bradford, I had horrific nightmares, not about the Bradford Fire, but about the fire which killed Paul. Watching the Bradford Fire had set those terrible memories free.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Another thing with the Bradford fire was the film of that policeman with his back to the stand when his hair suddenly caught fire. All those poor sods trapped in the inferno with no means or hope of mistake. Truly horrifying.

The drama as it happened can be seen on YouTube.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Many of the events people have mentioned affected me, but the one which I felt most personally was the Bradford City Fire in 1985. I was watching TV when the fire was broadcast live (not as "news" - the match was being televised). The most horrible part was when one poor guy staggered out of the burning stand on to the pitch in flames and eventually collapsed - literally dying in front of the TV cameras. The reason it affected me so personally was that 24 years before, a close friend of mine, Paul, had been burnt to death in a barn fire. I had hidden the memory away, but in the weeks after Bradford, I had horrific nightmares, not about the Bradford Fire, but about the fire which killed Paul. Watching the Bradford Fire had set those terrible memories free.
That must have been a terrible time for you Mick. It's strange how the human mind works.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Another thing with the Bradford fire was the film of that policeman with his back to the stand when his hair suddenly caught fire. All those poor sods trapped in the inferno with no means or hope of mistake. Truly horrifying.

The drama as it happened can be seen on YouTube.
That was one of mine, I will never forget that day as long as I live, the policeman with his hair on fire was awful.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 07:51 PM

T he Aberfan disaster upset me,Then recently 9/11,as it was an area where a friend & I had wandered around a few years previously

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top