Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2012, 08:58 AM

Re: Junket

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I'm beginning to think I led a sheltered life, never heard of junket or gypsy tart
Gypsy tart was a school pudding made from evaporated milk and sugar in pastry. Sweet and sickly but compared with the rest of school dinners along with the milk puddings was an absolute treat.

A few years ago when an old childhood friend was visiting we had an irresistible urge to revisit this particular school delicacy (I use the term every loosely) so I found a recipe and we made some. Well it was pleasant enough I don't think I would bother again.

suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 09:26 PM

From the recipe on here it looks as if I would like it I have never heard of it but love all milky puddings Blancmange and milky jelly made from Carnation milk and jelly whisked together yummy...
A few things you never hear of now I have had as a child from my Grandparents were Chitterlings which I believe are cows intestines boiled
(Gross sorry) _ and Poached sheep's brains Mom always used to love Tripe and onions and on a Saturday we always had pigs trotters
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by suey ->
(Gross sorry) _ and Poached sheep's brains Mom always used to love Tripe and onions and on a Saturday we always had pigs trotters
I still buy sheep's and pigs brains from the butcher though I fry or BBQ them... Yum.

While my kids lived at home I had to forgo the pleasures of pigs trotters because they refused to allow me to keep them in the fridge with 'their' food.

They were so fussy, about the only offal I could persuade them to eat were stuffed pigs or sheep hearts, which they did quite like.

Personally I didn't like tripe at all.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2012, 09:41 AM

loved semolina and tapioca, especially the skin, never had junket and didn't like blancmange. Nan had pigs trotters or elder for Saturday tea. I hated tripe, was like eating wet polystyrene ugh!!! loved steak and cowheel.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - pigs trotters - been many years since I ate one of those. Something else I used to eat and enjoy which has vanished off the shelves are saveloys.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 11:14 PM

What's a saveloy?

The junket that's been described is something I've never eaten, nor would I want to. Yuk-yuk.

Pigs trotters, belly pork, tripe and other such disgusterating foods was something my dad slurped down with great relish. Triple yuk-yuk.

We did however have milk pobs as kids and, although I didn't particularly like it, I had to eat it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
What's a saveloy?

The junket that's been described is something I've never eaten, nor would I want to. Yuk-yuk.

Pigs trotters, belly pork, tripe and other such disgusterating foods was something my dad slurped down with great relish. Triple yuk-yuk.

We did however have milk pobs as kids and, although I didn't particularly like it, I had to eat it.
Mollie darlin' - saveloys are a type of sausage - normally served with peas pudding too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Oh right, thank you for the reply. I like sausages.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top