Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 05:59 PM

Re: A question for those that have lived abroad and are bi-lingual.

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Haven't lived on the Continent, but worked in France,Germany, Poland, so have a smattering of each, but mainly associated with business. At grammar school, we had to learn Latin (useful on the no 9 bus) and French. I usually came near the top on French and steadfastly bottom with Latin exams. In Poland, I used to do conversational English over dinner or in a bar as many Poles wanted to speak it right....
Written Polish?

How can anyone speak a word without any vowels?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 05:43 AM

Re: A question for those that have lived abroad and are bi-lingual.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
My wife went to France to be a nanny when she left school, unfortunately her french teacher had been scottish so no-one could understand a word she said....
I can empathise with that, I have tried Mandarin with my Chinese friend and even though I am reading it from Google translate she still can't understand it. I have to tell her what a poor linguist she is.

The only language I was any good at was Latin and over the last 55 years it has proved to be of very limited use.

As an ex pat I find English works very well here though I am very familiar with Strine.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top