Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 11:54 PM

Re: Which era...

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
My friend has gone to the cinema today and it got me thinking ...I always say im going to the "pictures" and some people say the movies others say the cinema,and yet still others call it the flicks,is it something to do with which era you were born in?

What do you call it? or maybe you dont ever go to the "pictures"
I'd say the pictures, though I haven't been for years. My youngest daughter and my grandchildren say Cinema or even Multiplex.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 12:08 AM

Growing up in New Zealand, it was the pictures.
Here in my part of Canada, it's the movies.
I still say pictures, and still get weird looks!

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm not keen on Americanisms.
I have a friend who says 'gotten' I think it makes her sound silly and pretentious.
I haven't told her!!!
Also have you noticed if someone asks "How are you?", the response seems to be not "I'm fine thanks", or "I'm very well thanks", but "I'm good" !!!
'Gotten' drives me bonkers! Pretty well everybody I know in this part of the world, online and in real life, says it. I have to bite me tongue!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 02:26 AM

Here in Australia it's a real mixture. I say a film at the cinema, but the younger generation tend to say - we went to the movies, as we seem to be getting more and more Americanised. My 93 year old mother would still say pictures even though she's lived here 60 years.

I hate gotten too. It's creeping in here more and more.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top