Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 09:13 PM

Re: Ouch! I've got Shingles

Originally Posted by galty ->
Never knew that there was a shingles shot.

Seems I can have one on the NHS service being over 70.

Thank you...... have learnt something today.

PS you cant get Shingles unless you have had Chicken Pox years ago.
Thought it was the other way round - if you've had chicken pox you can't get shingles?

Edited Gosh, that sounds so confusing, I'm confusing myself!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 09:43 PM

If you have had chickenpox you can get it again as it lays dormant until something triggers it off. Unfortunately mine was stress..
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
If you have had chickenpox you can get it again as it lays dormant until something triggers it off. Unfortunately mine was stress..
Yes I can believe that with the house move coming up.

I got so confused with what I said to Galty, that I took the time out to go and read up on it properly. Just coming back to say sorry to Galty and yourself for the confusion.

I blame old age and the mars bar I ate
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 10:14 PM

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...topic-overview
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 10:20 PM

Thank you all for your kind words, i think it's the stress from moving house, we haven't moved yet but due to move the end of next month. At the moment i'm in the early stages so i will have to rest up a while and take it easy for now and hope i don't scream too loud
Oh poor you... I hope you won't be in too much discomfort.

While stress alone does not cause shingles, the virus often occurs in people who have recently had a stressful event in their lives which can weaken their immune system.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Thought it was the other way round - if you've had chicken pox you can't get shingles?
No...Shingles is caused by the reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus, which is the virus that causes chickenpox after you have had chickenpox, the varicella-zoster virus lies dormant inside your body and can become reactivated at a later stage and cause shingles.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 11:42 PM

I guess you had the chickenpox vaccination as a child.

It looks likely that those vaccinations are the cause of bad shingles attacks in later life.

Chickenpox was never the deadly disease it was made out to be. 99.9% of kids had bouts of chickenpox as a routine part of childhood which lasted 2-3 weeks and weren't life threatening except for kids with compromised immune systems.

Somewhere along the lines the powers that be spread the fear that it WAS a terrible life threatening condition and that all kids should be vaccinated. It's the same old vaccination story we see so often I'm afraid, just like the Flu Jab nonsense.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 11:43 PM

Chicken pox jab??
Never heard of it.
I think it's an American thing.
My neices took their kids to chicken pox parties!!!!
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 11:50 PM

It's a horrible condition, my mother had it late in life and suffered terribly from it, hope you recover soon Sue. If it is stress related, it's a wonder the whole world hasn't got it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 12:37 AM

I hope you get better soon SS. My hubby has shingles on his face last year. It was very unsightly and painful.
It was ever so strange - just on one side, from his chin - all over the side of his face and stopped abruptly in the middle of his head. The other side of his head/face didn't have a mark on it!!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top