Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Re: Famous Detectives.

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Was it Basil Rathbone that played him in the films?
Yes and he was good for that time but I just loved watching Jeremy Brett. Have not watched Benedict Cumberpatch but can't do with modern 'takes' on things!

I must be getting old.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2014, 11:17 PM

My daughter says he's got a face like a foot!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 12:05 AM

Jeremy Brett put his soul into the character, he did the moods and expressions of Holmes superbly, the best Sherlock in my opinion. Basil Rathbone was the best of his day too, when I put Basil and Rat together I can't help thinking of that scene in Fawlty Towers.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 02:08 AM

My partner and I both read a lot of crime/detective novels and we find it's always interesting to see how they cast the detective you've read about.

Inspector Lynley is perfectly cast, as is Poirot, the Scandinavian version of Wallander, The Ladies Detective Agency and Miss Fisher but I couldn't accept Steven Tomkinson as Inspector Banks at all - nothing like he is in the books.

I love Morse, never get sick of him and I like Lewis too - such beautiful scenery! We met John Nettles when he was filming Midsummer Murders a few years ago and he was charming.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 03:36 AM

I got a mention in the school magazine with

Complete this sentence
"Shylock was..."

My answer "a detective"
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I got a mention in the school magazine with

Complete this sentence
"Shylock was..."

My answer "a detective"
Did you get "try harder" on your report for English? LOL
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 10:25 AM

I love both the old and the new Sherlocks. Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing, as is Johnny Lee Miller in their different takes on an "old" story. I also love the 40's Film Noir thrillers with Humphrey Bogart, George Raft et al. My current favourites are Inspector George Gently, Luther, Whitechapel and Ripper Street - all high quality productions and well worth watching.
If you like your detective stories very dark - look no further than the brilliant new series on Sky Atlantic - True Detective - fantastic stuff!
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 12:20 PM

I'm a big fan of Foyle's War - I would particularly like to know why we stopped wearing hats
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 01:37 PM

Because fashion is for nerds these days
Just look at the baseball cap - hideous !!
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Because fashion is for nerds these days
Just look at the baseball cap - hideous !!
You're probably right, Patsy, but as a fashion disaster myself, I daren't comment. I suppose the thing about hats was that it very neatly summed up your social status at a time when that was all important. The working class had flat caps, middle class - trilbies and the City gent would have a bowler. You knew where you were in them days

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top