Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:48 AM

Re: How Fair is Britain?

Why do the black people change colour when kicked out of the country ...
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:50 AM

Oops, I meant the remainder of the population would be fair.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 04:05 AM

Ohhhhhhhhh .. so are you going on about the
Chinese .. Japanese ... India(Indian) etc ...

Are all remaining in the country are those the ones that will be
turning fair ...
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 04:08 AM

Yes sugar, and especially the fairies.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
in 2001 approx 40% of people believed there was more racial prejudice that in the previous 5 yrs
in 2005 48% and in 2008 56% - remembering these are peoples beliefs [perceptions] not necessarily what was reality.
and in terms of religious prejudice:
if this belief also reflects reality then I would imagine that as prejudices increase so fairness decreases?
That's exactly the crux of the matter I think gumbud - does belief reflect reality; I don't think so because peoples' perceptions come from their own experiences and, to a certain extent, what they read in newspapers or see on TV.

Bad news creates bad feeling I've always thought so the more emphasis the media put on immigrants, (legal or otherwise), and, in particular, the effect on our infrastructure and services, the higher the rate of prejudice will be!

Where I live I think is probably a microcosm of the UK and we have large numbers of immigrants come into our community and been accepted.

The ONLY time that prejudice seems to raise it's head or become an "issue" is when immigrants seem to create ghettos and they then appear to others to be getting preferential treatment!

The ghetto argument is of course a fallacy because you see the same thing in Spain for example with Brits all taking over the one area and refusing to learn Spanish and that creates racial prejudice amongst the Spanish!

People are people and if they believe that others are getting a better deal than they are they will resent that.
Resentment creates distrust and hinders integration which in turn creates racial tension so is that a reflection of belief or an effect gumbud? stevmk2
touchwood
england
touchwood is male 

25-06-2014, 09:54 AM

TRUE TO say all people may have some prejudice, its a human trait alas.
but ,that does not have to translate into our institutions, which SHOULD be
fair and judge people by merit alone,
yet i wonder how many people answer questions with honesty, or even thinking? so im not sanguine about polls, but they are useful nonetheless.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 11:20 AM

I personally think that both australia and UK are becoming fairer [no skin color intended] countries - they are both examples of integrating multicultural countries and are slowly, slowly learning to accept this - being 'white' has for so long been a mantle of superiority and control that letting go of the mantle is sometimes difficult!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I personally think that both australia and UK are becoming fairer [no skin color intended] countries - they are both examples of integrating multicultural countries and are slowly, slowly learning to accept this - being 'white' has for so long been a mantle of superiority and control that letting go of the mantle is sometimes difficult!
That surprises me gumbud 'cos I think the opposite in the UK; it's less fair than it was in my opinion and I believe that that's mainly due to the stress that so many are under all the time these days.

To many people, everyone's getting a "better deal" out of life than they are and our government seems blind to the tension and emnity building up.

Many, many people here voted UKIP simply to get the other three parties to sit up and take notice and fairness - particularly the perceived lack of it - has everything to do with it IMHO. stevmk2
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
That surprises me gumbud 'cos I think the opposite in the UK; it's less fair than it was in my opinion and I believe that that's mainly due to the stress that so many are under all the time these days.

To many people, everyone's getting a "better deal" out of life than they are and our government seems blind to the tension and emnity building up.

Many, many people here voted UKIP simply to get the other three parties to sit up and take notice and fairness - particularly the perceived lack of it - has everything to do with it IMHO. stevmk2
yes I sort of get your point UK and OZ are significantly different in many ways but both have a "pure white base" that is learning to cope with multiculturalism - I think OZ is making a better job of it but struggles still with its Indigenous population. But "whites" have controlled the world for so long that I believe it is difficult to give this up psychologically - white is still considered superior in all aspects of life - on the surface we may say we accept "coloreds" but deep down inside - really deep down inside we believe "white" is always best IMHO!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

25-06-2014, 11:48 PM

there are so many angles to this aspect of 'fairness'. Oz seems to deal with its multiculturalism well but unlike UK has a strong immigration policy and practices [too strong some would say] which enables it to prevent the sort of flooding of immigrants UK gets.

but on a predictive note, IMO there must surely come a point when the original national identity has become so diluted and swamped that something else emerges and the Britishness that we remember and can still just recognize will no longer exist. and some may say "well that's not fair"

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top