Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Re: Are grown up kids selfish today?

I think, some children don’t contact their parents not because they don’t care. It’s because they just don’t think!
Maybe, they mean to but they are busy, or other things crop up and we get overlooked.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Are grown up kids selfish today?
My son isn't on the contrary he has always been unselfish. He was never keen on alcohol and ended up ferrying his friend and acquaintances here there and everywhere and none of them offered to help with paying the petrol .

I know if I needed anything I only have to ask (but I wouldn't ) .

He is also very good with his wife and children and puts them first before himself.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:45 PM

**Off topic posts removed
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My son isn't on the contrary he has always been unselfish. He was never keen on alcohol and ended up ferrying his friend and acquaintances here there and everywhere and none of them offered to help with paying the petrol .

I know if I needed anything I only have to ask (but I wouldn't ) .

He is also very good with his wife and children and puts them first before himself.

I am the same,Meg,i never ask unless i am in dire need,he works hard and i dont want to put pressure on him,..i have been quite poorly,these past few days,to much sun on Sunday i believe, i never asked him to come and stay,but he said he will stay tomorrow, i haven't been able to get out,so he will go to Tesco,and get me and my dogs what we need.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

07-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I am the same,Meg,i never ask unless i am in dire need,he works hard and i dont want to put pressure on him,..i have been quite poorly,these past few days,to much sun on Sunday i believe, i never asked him to come and stay,but he said he will stay tomorrow, i haven't been able to get out,so he will go to Tesco,and get me and my dogs what we need.
I hope you are feeling better Pauline and it's good that someone is keeping an eye on you
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I understand what you are saying and you are right that our parents told us that they never had what we had, but we were still brought up with good manners and knew how to care.

Many young people now put their own needs first and would rather see an elderly parent be put in a home, than care for them themselves.

When my dad died in his 50s we took my mum out for the evening every Sunday. Paid her a wage to vacuum my bungalow every week and she then stayed with us for an evening meal. We took her shopping on Saturdays and she would stay for lunch.

What our parents need, when their children leave home, is to still feel wanted and part of your life. Even if they live miles away, a phone call or chat online makes them feel that you still care. Too many kids these days see parents as child minders or money lenders when they want something.... but I suspect the minority do things to show that they care about Mum and Dad.

I have always felt that parents do too much for their children, but you never can be sure that they will return the favour when the parents are in need.

I have no kids but I am often shocked when I see how my friends kids threat their parents.:-(
You just made me think of this lovely but sad song Twink.
I always fill up whenever I hear it.

Sitting alone in an old rocking chair
I saw an old mother with silvery hair
She seemed so neglected by those who should care
Rocking alone in an old rocking chair

Her hands were all callused and wrinkled and old
A life of hard work was the story they told
And I thought of angels as I saw her there

Bless her old heart, do you think she'd complain
Though life has been bitter she'd live it again
And carry that cross that is more than her share

It wouldn't take much just to gladden her heart
Just some small remembrance on somebody's part
A letter would brighten her empty life there

I know some youngsters in an orphans' home
Who'd think they owned heaven if she was their own
They'd never be willing to let her sit there

I look at her and I think "What a shame"
The ones who forgot her she loves just the same
And I think of angels as I see her there

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top