Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2010, 03:33 AM

Re: Racism

Even if my hometown is quite safe we too have gangs of teenagers hanging around drinking and being offencive to passers by. Happily one of the advantages of having a rottie is that this is a dog they respect and like - so even if I am getting on in years they always treat me friendly with comments like; nice dog - and asking questions about the breed. So after getting sort of aquainted with them it happens we talk a little as old friends whenever me and my doggie happens to run into one of them when they are on their own too.
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2010, 04:18 AM

As this tread originally was about racism I can mention something I find rather odd. Many norwegians move to Spain when they retire (some go there to make a living too) because of the sun and more friendly climate (many english people too I believe).
But I notice that when the norwegians (we) move to Spain we want to be able to buy norwegian food, watch norwegian television, speak norwegian, celebrate norwegian holidays (like our national day) etc etc...
I do really find this quite odd - because when foreigners come to Norway we make a big fuss if they don't speak norwegian, don't like our food, have their own religion, watch something else than norwegian television, don't drink alcohol..
In my opinion this is racism...
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2010, 02:30 PM

I used to get called all sorts of names and by my own race!!. My crime? coming from Bedfordshire up to Leeds as a `bloody student/Southern snob/wanker etc.

I felt awful for a few weeks but soon wised up. I just said "yes I am -name the pub and I`ll see you there-darts or dominoes? you chose"

And I didn`t drink-not at first,I let them call me names for not drinking like a man. Once I had taken their money I agreed to have a pint or three.

It didn`t take long for them to treat me with respect
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2010, 04:25 PM

Beat them at their own game, OG, good for you! Clever!
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by anna ->
As this tread originally was about racism I can mention something I find rather odd. Many norwegians move to Spain when they retire (some go there to make a living too) because of the sun and more friendly climate (many english people too I believe).
But I notice that when the norwegians (we) move to Spain we want to be able to buy norwegian food, watch norwegian television, speak norwegian, celebrate norwegian holidays (like our national day) etc etc...
I do really find this quite odd - because when foreigners come to Norway we make a big fuss if they don't speak norwegian, don't like our food, have their own religion, watch something else than norwegian television, don't drink alcohol..
In my opinion this is racism...
I find this odd too anna - when I am in Spain, I like to see the true Spain, want to eat Spanish food, y hablo un poquisimo de espanol. I don't think it is racism as much as wanting to stay with what is familiar - but new experiences are exhilarating and should be tried.

Why don't you start a thread to teach us some Norwegian words and phrases?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Good Idea, PPH, I'd find that very interesting: I like languages! Ive had Latin, Greek, Spanish and one year of German in college/high school. And lost all fluency in the last two from disuse ......
anna
Norway

23-04-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
I find this odd too anna - when I am in Spain, I like to see the true Spain, want to eat Spanish food, y hablo un poquisimo de espanol. I don't think it is racism as much as wanting to stay with what is familiar - but new experiences are exhilarating and should be tried.

Why don't you start a thread to teach us some Norwegian words and phrases?
He, he - I think you are having me on now
Although I agree with you in that when in Spain I want to eat Spanish food, speak to the Spanish in their own language etc....

It may not be racism in it's worst case, but I do think racism as such grows from fear (and contempt) of unfamiliar things.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top