Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Re: Does Anyone Still Wear An Apron/Pinny?

I have a pvc coated cotton apron that I always wear when cooking, cos I'm a mucky beggar. I've had it for years and years and years. I honestly can't remember how long - it feels as though I've had it all my life The ties are wearing very thin now, and fraying, and I know I'll have to replace them soon.

I've often thought of making myself a smart new one (or three) with some snappy embroidery or appliqué on the front. I'd miss this old one though
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 12:29 PM

I wear a striped butchers style apron when I'm cooking. - cant see the point of getting fast splashes etc on my clothes.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 12:57 PM

Hi

I have one of these for gardening.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Case4Life-R...1943704&sr=8-7
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 01:09 PM

When it comes to cooking most of the time the Memsaab's idea of a recipe book is a local trade directory since Yellow Pages ceased to be printed.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 01:11 PM

I too have the classic blue & white butchers apron, wear it every day when cooking supper.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
When it comes to cooking most of the time the Memsaab's idea of a recipe book is a local trade directory since Yellow Pages ceased to be printed.
I misread that as a local tirade, and had visions of it all kicking off at your bit over dinner!

Do you take turns to cook in your house, Todger? Or is it all takeaways....?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 01:27 PM

I have a pile of aprons in the airing cupboard.
I am a very messy cook, also being quite short my tummy is level with the floured surface when I am making bread and pastry and I always end up with 'white tummy'.

Likewise when I am making currys etc which stain, I always manage to get some on my top if I don't wear an apron .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I misread that as a local tirade, and had visions of it all kicking off at your bit over dinner!

Do you take turns to cook in your house, Todger? Or is it all takeaways....?
Who cooks? It rather depends on what. I get to cook meat things, the Memsaab usually sticks to cakes and things. Ready meals rather than takeaways figure highly because so many are very good and cost less than "homebrews".

For example even a proper Chilli-con-what's it when done from scratch is not a cheap meal.

But good supermarket ready meals when enhanced with a bit of something extra, often double cream or cooked chicken etc. are an economic option.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 02:47 PM

I have never owned one, nor wanted one. I do have visions of my grandmother in hers day after day after day....like she was tied to the kitchen by her apron strings. Even my other grandmother never had one on while cooking.

It seems to me it's like something of days gone by. The only time I have ever worn one was while working at church for our roast beef dinner fundraisers. It was "the uniform" of the members but it seemed just an extra layer of clothing to me.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am a very messy cook, also being quite short my tummy is level with the floured surface when I am making bread and pastry and I always end up with 'white tummy'.

Likewise when I am making currys etc which stain, I always manage to get some on my top if I don't wear an apron .
Haha I could have written this - definitely relate to the 'white tummy' when baking. Yep, my tum's about level with the floured surface too

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top