Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 11:03 PM

Re: I Have Just Received My Water Bill And I Nearly Collapsed!

Art posts: "£357.47 for 193 days"

Bloody 'ell, have you been filling a swimming pool?

My bill is £8 per month.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 12:43 AM

Huge differences across the country!
That ain't right!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have a water meter and my half yearly water bill is usually around £115.

Today, l received my bill and it was a massive £357.47 for 193 days! I couldn’t believe it and thought l would collapse with the shock!!

I rang the Water people, it took ages to get through. When l eventually got through, the man said, there were 99 people after me in the queue!

He said, it might be an incorrect reading, or l had a leak. The thought of a leak, nearly took me over the edge!!

He asked, if l could take another reading. He advised me to take something to lever open the cover, a torch and a pair of gloves. It’s a good job l did, as the hole containing the meter was full of yuk, leaves and slugs!

I took the reading, 01472. What a relief! The bill ‘actual’ reading was 01572.

Luckily, l didn’t have to wait in a queue again, Steve at the call centre, rang me back. l told him the new reading and my bill was adjusted.

It made me think of other people who get huge bills due to their meter being read incorrectly. It really, is enough to make you either collapse or have a heart attack at the massive amount you think you’ll have to pay.

Has it ever happened to you, or someone you know?
Presumably you got a grovelling apology or, better still, an explanation of how that happened.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 01:22 AM

I was surprised last year when the phone rang from the water company. The representative said our water usage (read remotely) was the equivalent of £223 - for the month!

The representative said that it was probably a leak, and if repaired, the bill would only be for an average of the previous months' usage. Sure enough, I was able to trace it to an underground line.

I am still-slack jawed that they called me....and then were more than reasonable in not applying the charge.

Excellent customer service.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:32 AM

Am on a water which is also in side my house.

It is a smart meter so they don't have to knock.

At my last reading Must have had an idiot because they estimated it and then had to pay a higher than normal bill, well over the average 50 pounds (bill was around 80 pounds) I pay every 6 months.

Yesterday I received my water bill for the last 6 months since.

I had to pay a whopping 7.04

Sorry for no pound signs aint working on my KB
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Dreading my bill after the leak that could be ongoing since before I moved in (March).
I have filled in a leak form but I'm not sure how they calculate it, I have only just had my washing machine plumbed in so I told them that my daughter has been doing my washing and please could they look at my old property's bills to see how much I normally use.
It's worrying!
Not only that but this de-humidifyer seems to be using a lot of electricity.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-08-2018, 09:18 AM

I read somewhere that if you have soakaways instead of drains you can get a discount on sewerage for rain water.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I read somewhere that if you have soakaways instead of drains you can get a discount on sewerage for rain water.
That is correct Tessa, I don't pay for 'soakaway ' rainwater, it goes from our gutter pipes to a pipe that leads to the stream.
You will not be told about it by the water companies and need to do your own investigations as to where your rain water goes then apply for a reduction.

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/...waterdrainage/
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 01:33 PM

My monthly water bill is £11. I'm not on a Smartmeter and have no intention of having one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 01:38 PM

I never, ever, pay an 'Estimated Bill.'

If it is estimated in their favour, why should I pay for water/gas/electric etc that I haven't even used?

But if the bill is underestimated, it is still wrong, and it means it will be lumped onto the next one and make that even bigger.

I always read my meters for all services, and will only pay a bill based on my reading.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top