Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 07:06 PM

Re: Kitchen

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am considering having new doors on the old units or having the old doors dipped, I couldn't face workmen in the kitchen not that I could afford a new kitchen anyway
Our kitchen is 25 years old Meg, but it was a good quality one when it went in. Now it is showing it's age and we priced up new kitchens but they were very expensive. It is quite a large kitchen (which would cost quite a bit to have all new) so we asked the same company who did the kitchen originally to come and take a look at replacing the doors, worktops, sink etc. He has made a few changes to modernise it - deep drawers and a double larder unit and quartz worktops. All in all it came out a lot cheaper than a completely new kitchen would have cost. Still expensive enough, but not silly money. I've chosen a five panel shaker in cashmere with a speckly white/grey quartz worktop so it will be quite a bit lighter than the limed oak we currently have. Our appliances had already been replaced a few years ago, so we don't need to change those. It's a bit of a gamble, but the kitchen man assured us it would look fine. Anyway it will see me out (oh dear I sound like my mother)
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Surely the problem with changing doors would be the position of the hinges? I have never done it myself but I have fitted a few kitchens so know that not all the hinges are the same.
He didn't say anything about the hinge position problems Longdogs - I've just been to look and I can't see that they would have to be in a different position - just new ones and there would be new holes for the actual doors anyway. Fingers crossed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Our kitchen is 25 years old Meg, but it was a good quality one when it went in. Now it is showing it's age and we priced up new kitchens but they were very expensive. It is quite a large kitchen (which would cost quite a bit to have all new) so we asked the same company who did the kitchen originally to come and take a look at replacing the doors, worktops, sink etc. He has made a few changes to modernise it - deep drawers and a double larder unit and quartz worktops. All in all it came out a lot cheaper than a completely new kitchen would have cost. Still expensive enough, but not silly money. I've chosen a five panel shaker in cashmere with a speckly white/grey quartz worktop so it will be quite a bit lighter than the limed oak we currently have. Our appliances had already been replaced a few years ago, so we don't need to change those. It's a bit of a gamble, but the kitchen man assured us it would look fine. Anyway it will see me out (oh dear I sound like my mother)
That sounds lovely Aerolor my kitchen is 15 years old and solid, I might just change the doors.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What the heck happened to the Cheap Kitchen Geezer/Geezerette?
Hopefully he gave up the ghost Spitty, he’s been trying to hawk kitchens for far too long now, couldn’t see anyone from here buying one after all that pestering, or maybe he kicked the bucket and got cremated and his wife uses him as an egg timer… in her new kitchen of course.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 11:17 PM

I have seen the die hard films, and know, the Kitchen Geezer was motivated, and wanted to negotiate.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

29-11-2017, 10:16 AM

I don't know who the kitchen geezer was - did anyone have a kitchen from him?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
He didn't say anything about the hinge position problems Longdogs - I've just been to look and I can't see that they would have to be in a different position - just new ones and there would be new holes for the actual doors anyway. Fingers crossed.
I see. I suppose you can buy doors without the hinge holes. I do know there are special drill bits without a point on them which can drill without going through the door.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

29-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That sounds lovely Aerolor my kitchen is 15 years old and solid, I might just change the doors.
Primarily that's what we are doing Meg and there are so many choices to go at. My daughter kept her doors and painted them. Took ages to do, but they made a great job of it. Their doors were quite a modern style (unlike mine) and they moved a few units around and had a new sink and worktops. It's amazing what a difference it made and for not a lot of money - just time and effort - but they are quite handy folks who will have a go without being concerned if they make a mess.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top