Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 10:55 PM

Re: Bandwagons

In days of yore, or a few hundred years ago at any rate, there were many traditions surrounding the marriage ceremony.

One of these was to have a mobile band that would play a bit, then move around the village and play a few more choons before moving off to yet another location.

There was also a tradition of the locals clubbing together to buy a barrel of beer. This would then be sold and the profits would go to pay for a posh frock for the bride.
The beer was called, the bride-ale, and the frock as called, the bride-ale gown.

Sometimes the wedding revellers would climb onto the musicians' cart to get from one part of the village to another.
In other words, they would literally jump on the band wagon.
If they had consumed too much bride-ale, they would sometimes topple over the side. In other words, they had fallen off the wagon.

Alas I have not seen a band wagon in our village for as long as I have lived here so have never been on one. Worse still, I have never had the opportunity to consume any bride-ale.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Interesting post Fruity. I'm sure there will be along soon.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 08:22 PM

We can all hop on.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top