Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Re: The fickle finger of fate

I believe in fate and that things happen for a reason but l have been told by a few people that what happens is purely coincidental and that sort of deflates it!

Bakerman, you use the word 'if' a lot in your thread. 'If' is a precarious word!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Bakerman replies:
Do you happen to have a doctorate it psychology ? You certainly come off trying to sound that way. You follow me around to all, every single one, of my posts and you make some snippy, snide remark. Hmm ? I wonder who has the problem ?
Do I need your approval ? My answer is, simple.
You just went on my ignore list. From now on, as far as I'm concerned, you don't even exist. So, post away. I'll not see a word of it.
Forum rules of survival...

1. If you're putting so someone on ignore for crissakes keep it to yourself and don't make it public or you'll never hear the end of it.

2. If a friend falls out or offends someone else don't immediately leap to their defence, they're old enough and ugly enough to look after themselves and they don't need your cringe making post of defence.

3. If you make a light-hearted comment for heaven's sakes put a wink after it so the recipient can see you're not actually a bunny boiler.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Do you believe in fate ?
I don't believe in Tarot cards, astrology, beings from other planets watching us, fortune tellers, voodoo, ghosts, or the alternate universe of liberalism, but I am beginning to wonder about fate.
The classic Greek Tragedies deal with some fatal flaw in the main protagonist, such as pride, which eventually, inevitably brings about his final downfall. The difference between tragedy and tragic is--- inevitability. Take, for example, the common habitual drunk driver. He may get away with it for many years but eventually, inevitably he will either kill himself or some innocent person.
Thus, we can say that the life of a drunk driver was fated to end in tragedy. Pure fate, however, is quite different. Take, for example, the case of a lonely person. He or she would love to find "Mr. or Miss Right" and for several years they attempt to find that right person, without success. And then one fine summer day, as if by magic, that right person is suddenly standing before them and it all happened by freak accident.
Once, many years ago, I wanted. ever so much to find my soul mate. Oh, yes, I dated, but that certain "specialness" was always missing. Then one Saturday afternoon I decided, on the spur of the moment, to stop by and say hello to a friend. I pulled up to the curb, parked my car, and was walking toward my friends home. As I neared his walkway, I saw a vision of loveliness leaving his house. Our eyes locked for a moment and I thought I detected
the faintest of smiles. The way I remember it, my heart stopped beating, my jaw dropped and I could not breathe. An exaggeration ? Perhaps.
At that precise moment my friend rounded the corner of his house and spotted me. I quickly moved to him, grabbed his arm and said. "Who is THAT ? My God, she is stunning". He replied, "Oh, just a friend of the family". Now my heart was racing and I excitedly said, "Please, please introduce me to her. The rest as they say, is history. We married less than a year later.
Was that fate ? What if I had missed the green traffic light and I had been delayed by one single minute. She and I would never have met. Fate ? I can't say with 100% certainty, but I feel, in my heart, it was.
Bakerman, l think the reason you may be getting the disappointing reaction is because, most of us are realists and believe in, 'if it's too good to be true, then it usually is!'
I find your opening post a little 'manufactured', clinical even! There is no lightness, just heaviness and just too perfect!!

Bakerman's Ignore button, here l come!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I find your opening post a little 'manufactured', clinical even! There is no lightness, just heaviness and just too perfect!!
I also didn't think it was lighthearted but a serious discussion on the interpretation of fate. It's evolved a bit since. Perhaps a US/ UK cultural misunderstanding?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Baker man I love your story .

How lovely you both found each other x
bakerman says
Thank you for your kind reply. But it seems many people STRONGLY object, not only to my thread but to me----personally. See recent posts.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Bakerman, l think the reason you may be getting the disappointing reaction is because, most of us are realists and believe in, 'if it's too good to be true, then it usually is!'

Bakerman's Ignore button, here l come!
Bakerman
Ok. You win. I give up. It seems I don't measure up to your high standards.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 10:57 AM

Bakerman replies
Annie, I hope you take this in the friendly spirit which I intend. I too believe in the laws of science however
in this case I say, poo on science.

Once thousands a years ago my wife and I were a single spirit streaking across the heavens. Somehow, we split apart and fell to earth as two widely separated half souls. Generation after generation we drifted, always wondering but never knowing where our other half was. Finally, on one warm summer day, we met again, and joined together in unbounded joy.
How incredibly romantic. Good for you.

Was your meeting Fate?
A gambler would call it 'chance' .
The Jungian type might call it synchronicity.
Someone more given to statistics might work on probability of how many strange (and desirable) women you'd meet in your life and how likely you were next to get to speak to her and so on ...

Life is full of possibilities and probabilities.
For that reason an astrologer or a tarot reader can sometimes be uncannily accurate or miss by a mile depending on how good or sensitive they are.

For example ... I knew someone who had marital problems and she went to a Tarot reader.
The Tarot reader told her her marriage would end.
So, immediately despondent, the lady went home and immediately packed her husbands bags and threw him out.
This made the tarot reader correct.

What the Tarot reader should have made clear was that any Tarot reader is making a possible prediction based on the situation at it's current stage .. a snapshot in time.. which the lady had the free will to try and change, though she might not succeed or , at heart, she might not even want to try.
In this case it was the latter. She'd already written off her marriage and was likely seeking someone, anyone, to confirm it for her to give her the impetus to kick her husband out.

Like you meeting your lady.
You could have been too timid to make the next obvious move and never been introduced.

Or our lovely Mups here if she hadn't been on the ball handling her insurance claim and diligently kept an eye on her workmen .. a prediction might feasibly be ... you get conned. The work is shoddy. Six months later you will still be waiting for a date for them to come to even start the work.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Bakerman
Ok. You win. I give up. It seems I don't measure up to your high standards.
Bakerman. Please don't give up! You start thought provoking threads which is great!
Carry on regardless!
bakerman
Mexico

26-09-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Your first post was very touching and i was about to put so in a post , but then you put the second post up about flying through the heaven thousands of years ago then landing on plant earth ,
Well you must know that what you wrote seemed a bit silly , and to be truthful i did think you had taken some substance and was high as a kite .
bakerman: Sorry you felt that way. I was merely telling how I felt. NOT that flying thru the heavens actually happened. I promise to not tell any more of my life. EVER AGAIN. It never occurred to me that anyone could possibly believe that it actually happened (that bit about the heavens)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 11:03 AM

bakerman: Sorry you felt that way. I was merely telling how I felt. NOT that flying thru the heavens actually happened. I promise to not tell any more of my life. EVER AGAIN. It never occurred to me that anyone could possibly believe that it actually happened (that bit about the heavens)

Ah, but isn't that what true soul mates are supposed to be?
Two souls that have been together before and get separated, only to meet again one day?

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top