Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:07 AM

Re: Are you a roundabout or straightacross type of person?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
There's one at the bottom of our village - it's so tight I can't navigate round it in my van so just drive over the top of it when turning right. It's become a right pain in another respect too. Some motorists don't know who's got the right of way and will stay at the junction waiting for some other bugger to make the first move. Why they got rid of the `Give Way` system as one road enters the main road I'll never know.
We have those too, I sit there making circles in the air with my finger and mouthing, "it's a roundabout" at the twits who don't understand it's their turn.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Straight across every time unless there's a copper behind.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Straight across every time unless there's a copper behind.
Straight across especially when there's a copper behind.....just a tad faster
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:10 PM

I know I hate driving and no longer do but I did try again after Jenny passed away. I mostly went round. What really pissed me off was being over taken by some eejit going over as I was going around.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:17 PM

There was a discussion in another place recently about lane discipline at full size roundabouts. It seems that driving instructors now tell their pupils to use the right lane unless you are taking the first exit. This is in direct contrast how I was tought, left lane was for straight on or turning left.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:56 PM

I'm a right swot when it comes to driving.
I even indicate if I'm the only person on the road!
I hate it though, when people stop dead at roundabouts even when there's nothing coming
The whole point of them is to keep the traffic flowing
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
There was a discussion in another place recently about lane discipline at full size roundabouts. It seems that driving instructors now tell their pupils to use the right lane unless you are taking the first exit. This is in direct contrast how I was tought, left lane was for straight on or turning left.
I was taught the left lane was for the first two exits.
just shows you.....why we all get confused
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:01 PM

The clue is in the sign which precedes the roundabout!!!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:26 PM

Highway Code for Roundabouts
26/9/2014 151 COMMENTS

It is fair to say that roundabouts are one of the hardest sections of the Highway Code for beginners to master. Make sure you read through this page a few times until you completely understand it. If you are learning to drive and have any questions, be sure to note them down and ask your driving instructor next time you have a lesson.

​​DRIVING LESSONS ONLINE - that will save you £'s on learning to drive! Start here >>

Section 184
Section 184 of the Highway Code is all about what to do when approaching a roundabout. To ensure you approach roundabouts safely you should look out for traffic signs, traffic lights and lane markings, all of which will help you to prepare for manoeuvring around the roundabout and identifying the correct lane.

When approaching a roundabout you should:
Use the mirror-signal-manoeuvre process
Decide which exit you need to take as early as possible
Use the appropriate signal at the optimal time to inform other road users of your intentions
Get into the correct lane
Adjust your speed and position to the traffic conditions
Remain aware of the speed and position of the traffic around you

Section 185
Section 185 explains what you should do when you reach the roundabout. Again it is important to be aware of the traffic around you and look out for road users who may be signalling incorrectly or in some cases not signalling at all!

When reaching a roundabout you should:
Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
Check if the road markings allow you to proceed without giving way (always look right before joining just in case)
Watch out for other road users on the roundabout
Check the traffic has moved off in front of you before you proceed to enter the roundabout

Section 186
This section of the Highway Code explains the signals and positions required to exit a roundabout safely. Follow the rules and you will find maneuvering roundabouts to be much less stressful.

When taking the first exit (unless signs and markings indicate otherwise):
Signal left and approach the exit in the left hand lane
Keep to the left on the roundabout and signal left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle (unless signs or markings indicate otherwise):
Signal right and approach the exit in the right hand lane
Keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to reach your exit
Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take

When taking any intermediate exit (unless signs or markings indicate otherwise):
Select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
Stay in the lane until you need to alter your lane to exit
Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want to take
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I was taught the left lane was for the first two exits.
just shows you.....why we all get confused
I was taught left lane for first exit

Left or right lane for straight on (unless the road opposite is a single lane then you use the left on approach

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top