Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 02:25 PM

Re: Would You do this?

The breaking of bread with others is sacrosanct in my opinion and to put a dollar value on it is truly despicable.

I can understand anyone being fooled once but to sign up to that twice I don't understand on any level.

Someone like that would not be allowed into my orbit again, ever.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 07:52 PM

We have had the family here for three days -- just wonderful.
They do though say, what do you want us to to bring Mum ?
I always say , well bring a bit of this and that, but don"t you be spending too much.
We are hosting the "DO" so to me , it is for us to bear the brunt. Surely that is what hosting is all about ?
If you can"t afford it, don"t do it, or go to a restaurant if you want a family do and pay their prices.
That is just me though.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 08:31 PM

This is one major recipe for disaster, and fall out between families... Why? Well each year all the family members will be looking for an excuse to moan like we bought our Turkey etc.. at M & S the following year the next person might buy there's at Iceland... The quality might not be as good. £720 is far too much money for 12 people to pay out.. It's Your Family For Gods Sake!!
A Turkey costs between £15-£20 half of the family are kids which we know don't eat as much so how on earth can you justify christmas?
Take a gift of kindness, that's enough.

I'm with you Doc, tell em to shove it where the sun don't shine
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 09:17 AM

I'm still pondering on the refunds demanded after tasting my food

Seriously when I eat at friends or family I always take something like flowers for the hostess, wine and after eights that sort of thing. I would feel a bit insulted if someone offered me money for my efforts.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 09:32 AM

I wouldn't pay that for a restaurant meal I'd expect something very special if I was charged that much. I do remember one of my sisters trying it on a few years ago oddly she and her husband sat down alone as no one turned up. She moaned about the wasted food for months

But no I have asked a difficult eater to bring a pudding she might like because she was unable to eat what I served up several times, but no not cash.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I wouldn't pay that for a restaurant meal I'd expect something very special if I was charged that much. I do remember one of my sisters trying it on a few years ago oddly she and her husband sat down alone as no one turned up. She moaned about the wasted food for months

But no I have asked a difficult eater to bring a pudding she might like because she was unable to eat what I served up several times, but no not cash.
Actually Julie you just reminded me, I have a vegan sister and a vegetarian daughter and I have on occasions told them to bring something they know wil meet their exacting food requirement just in case my efforts are not to their standards. My sister particularly is a nightmare to cater for
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 11:55 AM

I always think that vegans and vegetarians are difficult to cater for, but if they eat at my house I always make an effort to cook something they would like. I fail with vegans but I have been quite impressed with the vegetarian meals I have created and sometimes now make them for myself
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

29-12-2016, 01:16 PM

I always cater for them both Twinks and actually I eat very little meat myself so vegetarian recipes I'm ok with but my sister cross questions me on ingredients on vegan dishes and usually discounts them as not suitable its very hard to cater for vegans...bring your own is a good cop out
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I always think that vegans and vegetarians are difficult to cater for, but if they eat at my house I always make an effort to cook something they would like. I fail with vegans but I have been quite impressed with the vegetarian meals I have created and sometimes now make them for myself
Give me a bar of chocolate and I'm a happy camper twink couldn't be easier
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 02:49 PM

My niece has given me a Christmas (or New Year) meal for most years since Mum died, and last year it was sister and her youngest daughter. But nobody has ever expected me to contribute towards the costs. I'd happily do so, though, either by taking a dish or something, but they always refuse.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top