Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 10:06 AM

Re: Glad I Lived When I Did

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I was suggesting taking them outside and making it interesting for them! If parents can't give time to their kids they shouldn't have them. When they do have them the kids should always know who is boss, so remove their phones if they wont leave them to do other things. If you want a child to respect you, it isn't difficult to explain why you are removing the phone and negotiate with them when they can have it and when they can't.
Problem is these days it takes two wages to afford to buy or rent a property unless that changes kids will never have a parent with enough time to do that IMO.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 10:10 AM

I think most parents just wouldn't know how to go about it. I was never trained to be a 'parent'. I just kept my fingers crossed my boys would turn out well.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Problem is these days it takes two wages to afford to buy or rent a property unless that changes kids will never have a parent with enough time to do that IMO.
In those cases Julie I always think that discussion over the dinner table can help, but not solve the problem. Sadly many of these kids have parents who have plenty of time to spend with their children but have established relationships where neither they or their kids want to spend social time together.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 11:22 AM

In those cases Julie I always think that discussion over the dinner table can help, but not solve the problem. Sadly many of these kids have parents who have plenty of time to spend with their children but have established relationships where neither they or their kids want to spend social time together.
I do get that but many I know work shift these days hardly see each other so they can avoid paying for child care, my best friend works nights and weekends while her husband works week days so they don't have to pay the hundreds a month they were for the kids afternoon clubs, means they rarely see each other sadly. They are becoming more typical than rare these days.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 11:40 AM

I do get that but many I know work shift these days hardly see each other so they can avoid paying for child care, my best friend works nights and weekends while her husband works week days so they don't have to pay the hundreds a month they were for the kids afternoon clubs, means they rarely see each other sadly. They are becoming more typical than rare these days.
That is sad but with so many people in this small country there are too many to provide for and too few well paid jobs to cover the cost of their living. It is a sad fact that everybody wants more and, in order to get it, their children have to suffer. There wasn't a lot of money about after WW2 but parents managed to bring up their children on it and some of us are those children, who now understand the value of money and how to use it wisely. These days too many want what the Jones have but can't afford it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-06-2016, 12:21 PM

That is sad but with so many people in this small country there are too many to provide for and too few well paid jobs to cover the cost of their living. It is a sad fact that everybody wants more and, in order to get it, their children have to suffer. There wasn't a lot of money about after WW2 but parents managed to bring up their children on it and some of us are those children, who now understand the value of money and how to use it wisely. These days too many want what the Jones have but can't afford it.
I'm not sure how fair that is twink the people I know are paying more than one months wage for one of them for a simple two bed rental home, rents were less and you would not expect to have one in a couple paying just the rent back then. One wage paid for the family needs. Now not so.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

13-06-2016, 01:19 PM

I'm not sure how fair that is twink the people I know are paying more than one months wage for one of them for a simple two bed rental home, rents were less and you would not expect to have one in a couple paying just the rent back then. One wage paid for the family needs. Now not so.
In those days most women didn't work ( apart from little part time jobs) so the family lived on one wage. Until I was 10 we lived in a rented house, had a holiday each year and we were well clothed and fed. The real problem is that there are too many people and not enough jobs now so peoples abilities at work are undervalued. That is one of the reasons I object to taking in immigrants..... because if we don't look after our own, who will?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-06-2016, 01:23 PM

In those days most women didn't work ( apart from little part time jobs) so the family lived on one wage. Until I was 10 we lived in a rented house, had a holiday each year and we were well clothed and fed. The real problem is that there are too many people and not enough jobs now so peoples abilities at work are undervalued. That is one of the reasons I object to taking in immigrants..... because if we don't look after our own, who will?
Can't disagree with you on that one.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top