Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Re: Bee gone.

There are some bees here as well.

And wasps are very useful little creatures. They are also a mirror to human society,they only become a nuiscance later on in the year when they feed on over ripe fruit and basically `get drunk`
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2010, 08:15 PM

Well I think they are all in Wales

Went for a walk up the mountain today and there were loads, everywhere there were buttercups there were bees.

Also there seems to be another nest/hive in the loft - not sure if it's bees or wasps yet tho, but this time it is right above my bedroom! Hope they don't eat their way in
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2010, 10:24 PM

If it's bees, Azz, you can get a beekeeper to remove the hive with queen and relocate them. The bees are declining everywhere, we need the for pollenation for our crops.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2010, 10:57 PM

I haven't seen many bees this year, plenty of wasps though, I must have sprayed about 30 of them in the past week, maybe they're flying over from Wales Azz.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Well you're welcome to the wasps Jemflux - I hate them!

Definitely didn't notice this many last year, in fact I rarely saw them last year - today they were almost every bit of the walk where there was buttercups (and the walk was over 3 hours!). I kept hearing them there were that many around. Wonder why?

DM - I actually don't mind them up in the loft so long as they're bees. Wasn't too keen on the wasps last year tho!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2010, 11:52 PM

I quite agree about wasps and hornets, Azz, very scary, both of them; nasty stingers.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2010, 08:27 AM

Its great to hear there are plenty about. I thought we didn't have many , I wondered if its this north wind was keeping them away but in a quiet corner where the geraniums are, it was alive and buzzing and I've since noticed loads around the poached egg flowers.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Not many around until this afternoon when suddenly there were lots of bees in the garden........no wasps, but if they did trespass, especially into the house their lives would be short-lived!!!!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 09:32 PM

We have some bees back in the wall but not as busy as previous years.

I came back from a show a couple of weeks ago to the news that not only were the bees active but they had swarmed! I find it quite fascinating. You hear them first and then they are flying all around in large numbers and they settle into a ball around the new queen while others scout for a new home. They then fly off en-mass.

By coincidence a beekeeper had put a notice on our board at work for swarms of bees shortly after ours had swarmed.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

18-06-2010, 09:45 PM

Did you get any honey MM?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top