Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 01:42 PM

Re: Brother can you spare a dime ???

Youre v welcome!
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
[/B]
You use your judgement as I do
Sound advise, my dear lady..
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Almost Malcolm it was the 1948 film THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE starring Humphrey Bogart.
The connection is Brother can you spare a dime.☺
That may have been the first iteration but the second and more famous one was the one I mentioned ... Eli Wallach in The Good The Bad and The Ugly, watch out for it next time it's on TV.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 04:02 PM

I thought the Doc meant Badgers, dead ones. Well they would stink after a few days in warm weather.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I thought the Doc meant Badgers, dead ones. Well they would stink after a few days in warm weather.
Made me laugh - didn't think I would today
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 05:25 PM

Nobody chooses to be on the street. Although, I am reluctant to give to beggars as I am of the belief that there is always help available, but it is hard to get in certain circumstances.

Part of me also feels guilty that I am very rich and don't feel I deserve it, when people who just want a roof over their heads cannot get it.

Phil Collins sums it up pretty well...

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 06:06 PM

Yep, thought provoking song Susan
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 07:42 PM

You should Vote for Bernie Sanders then !
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 08:09 PM

I have read in the past of professional Beggars on the streets making huge amounts of money.
Alas since many or most are Eastern European, I now trust non.

Cynical what? Then I did give the last one three quid and she called me back and asked if I could give her £20:-

Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 09:48 PM

I give clothing and other donations to organizations that help the homeless, but I don't give them anything directly. I caught some woman in a major lie one day in the parking lot of the grocery store and I don't believe a word any of them say anymore. If any of them come up to me asking for money, I simply tell them, "I'm sorry, but I don't carry cash." Which is true, for the most part. Once in a while I'll have a couple of bucks on me, but 99% of the time I purchase everything with my bank cards. So I don't have anything to give them anyway.

With the exception of one old man who's been sitting on the same corner for many years, collecting whatever he can from passersby. He's not homeless, but he lives in a run down, tiny little trailer no bigger than a small shack with no electricity. He literally survives off of the things given to him by other people. He doesn't beg, he doesn't stand or sit there holding signs, asking people for money; he waits until someone offers him something. And whatever he gets he's very thankful for. One winter I noticed him sitting there with his shopping cart in the freezing cold with no gloves on. I gave him mine. He was excited to get those gloves and cheered, "Alright! Thank you so much and God bless!"

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top