Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 01:15 PM

Re: What are you buying for your christmas dinner

Anyone have any recommendations for a nice shop bought xmas pud...just a small one enough for 3 ?
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 05:46 PM

I prefer something light---and boring---yoghurt or ice cream. Maybe--as its Christmas---some cheesecake.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 08:59 PM

I'm cooking Christmas lunch for my son & his family. I was going to get a turkey crown but we got talking and it seems we all prefer chicken to turkey but it's just so ordinary isn't it?
Anyway if chicken is what they want chicken is what we're having. I went to M&S last week and picked one up for £6 - It's gone straight in the freezer. I know they love gammon so I got a gammon joint as well.

There should be enough for the six of us and hopefully some left over to feed Tony & me on boxing day.

Sorted.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Were I on my own and wanting something tasty without breaking the bank then a hand of pork.

Loads of nice crackling and tasty meat-and plenty left for the next day with some pickles.
Well, I took the plunge and went onto my local butcher and bought a hand of pork. Or half one. It cost over £10.00 .. but it is for Christmas. .. even if it is only me and my dogs !!

The butcher told me 3 hours at 160. Does that sound about right. I do not want to ruin it. ???
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 06:14 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what is a hand of pork? We're eating Christmas dinner at my daughters, she's a much better cook than me, anyway, bless her. Think it's turkey and pork with all the trimmings, mmmm, can't wait !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 07:34 PM

I've got the family here this Christmas, so it will have to be turkey. Instead of gammon, we'll have a slow roast joint of our own 'Oxford Sandy&Black' pork. If we want a starter, it will be crab salad. I have a case of Biddenden English wine in the cellar, so that will go nicely with it.

I'd prefer goose, but it's not big enough for the six of us.
mariana
Kent. Uk.

10-12-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Excuse my ignorance but what is a hand of pork? We're eating Christmas dinner at my daughters, she's a much better cook than me, anyway, bless her. Think it's turkey and pork with all the trimmings, mmmm, can't wait !
I'm not sure myself to be quite honest. Someone on this thread recommended it to me, and it did look really nice.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 12:24 PM

The 'Hand' is a cut from the lower part of a pig's shoulder. A cheap cut, but excellent when slow roasted.
mariana
Kent. Uk.

11-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
The 'Hand' is a cut from the lower part of a pig's shoulder. A cheap cut, but excellent when slow roasted.

Thank you--that is exactly what my butcher said. !!
mariana
Kent. Uk.

12-12-2015, 12:52 PM

mmmmm one recipe on the internet says cook it overnight for 9 hours--also it cannot be carved--just pulled away. This will be different.

Do you think a pork stuffing and cranberry sauce will go, and an onion gravy---I think it might.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top