Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 07:48 AM

Re: Are'nt holidays expensive?

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Appreciate what you say Realspeed, but we're a pretty independant couple who want to come and go as we please. Travellers, not tourists.

On the original point about costs - we've often found that we can book our holidays a lot cheaper than 'packages' - even from the firms that claim to be 'low cost'.
Last year, for the first time ever, I booked a holiday with Expedia and I got a week B&B for two with flights in Wernigerode in Germany for what I might have paid for one on a package holiday. I did have to research it first to find where to fly from/to and how to get to our destination from the airport but I find that part of it enjoyable.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 08:33 AM

I think you are confusing package holidays with a cruise. They are entirely different. With a package holiday it is a bit like booking a hotel in the UK, you are stuck with the hotel and its surroundings. I would soon get extremely bored looking at the same thing for 2 weeks. At least with a cruise ,depending on where you go, you wake with a completely different outlook. Not only that but get a chance to see a small part of the country and its people.

If only I could show you all my cruise photos I think you may change your mind
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 10:26 AM

I've cruised realspeed - I know how good they are. All I was saying is the entertainment on a cruise ship (which you said was free) isn't really free because you've paid for it in the price of the cruise.

We went with P&O and it wasn't cheap!!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 10:52 AM

If and it's a BIG IF, I ever went on a cruise, I'd either want to go on a sailing ship (which are eyewateringly expensive) or a river cruise where you could get off in the morning, do your own thing for a day, and head off in the evening to somewhere else.

Sounds like the touring holidays we do in the camper, but with more water
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 03:15 PM

I'm with GW on this. A holiday cruise is the last thing I would want to do. Whistlestop tours with no chance to really get a feel for places.
I always book everything independently, doing a lot of research before I do so, and I love the total independence it gives me.
I don't like 'entertainment' on my holidays because I want to spend my time exploring. (And if I'm not exploring, enjoying a good book while relaxing is a joy.)
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Appreciate what you say Realspeed, but we're a pretty independant couple who want to come and go as we please. Travellers, not tourists.

On the original point about costs - we've often found that we can book our holidays a lot cheaper than 'packages' - even from the firms that claim to be 'low cost'.
Agree 100%, plus the the drink prices if you are so inclined and many are [surprise, surprise] are exhorbitant
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 07:34 PM

We started with a river cruise in Egypt
Started off in Geza to the the spikes in the ground and the valley of the kings and the artist tombs. Then went into Cairo to see king tuts gear. Next was a flight to Luxor for the river cruise as far as the Aswan dam. Each day had a trip the see the monuments before going back to the boat. Then cruise back to Luxor for the flight home.

Abu simbil

on the Nile

[ty]PW3plp1PgqM'[/yt]

Sphinx

Not included the stills too many to post
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 09:53 PM

Hope you enjoyed it. I enjoyed our trip round the Rhine at Easter. We booked the flights directly with Lufthana and got a great deal on a suite at the Hilton overlooking the river. Bought a Rhineland Pfalz rail ticket that covered the Rhine and Moselle valleys and stopped as we pleased. Had a great time. Cost - about £800 for the week for both of us.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

02-08-2015, 10:47 PM

Sounds nice another river I would not mind having a river cruise on
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 08:00 PM

I dont like going away,not comfy in another bed.I have a lot of medication and its a hastle making sure Ive packed enough, then packing up again to come home. Im not a sun lover,so as long as its fairly warm and dry the weather doesnt bother me.Instead I go out for days with friends.We have had some nice days out via coach ,picked up about 10/15 minutes from home, everything is organised ,the coach drops us at a convenient place ,then we find somewhere to eat and wander where we like in our own time,or just sit and relax, we have visited some lovely places and have had some good times and laughs

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top