Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 12:15 AM

Re: Flies!

I think there are more flies around than ever this year, along with many other insects too.
I like my back door and windows open most of the time when the weather is nice, so I stuck 2 small strips I cut off an old T.shirt over the back door frame and drip 2 or 3 drops of Citronella essential oils onto the material. It not only makes the kitchen smell lovely and fresh, it helps keep the flies out too. I also have a small plant saucer on the outside windowsill, fill it with water and drop some oils into that as well, and it seems to stop most flies coming indoors. Any that do enter soon get swatted because they drive me nuts buzzing around and crawling over stuff. I never use sprays, partly because I hate the smell of them and secondly because it getting into the dogs water bowls. I would certainly never spray a wasp indoors because they go crazy and dive-bomb me before they die. Swatting's safer and quicker.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 12:19 AM

It's ants again this summer, uggh!!

Funny how things are cyclical whether it be animals or insects. No ants for 3 years when there seemed to be an invasion now it's happening again. Yet, there's not as many flies.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Every time I go out the back door flies always seem to come in with me...I've just got one of those mesh screens with the magnets on not had any flies....Yet
I'm thinking of getting the magnetic colourful door strips, they do a good job too!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 07:37 AM

I used to have fly paper stuck up but it didn't get all of them. I once had an unusual invasion of midges, stuck on a bottle of oil in the kitchen, and so I put up several of those things and caught a load. It took a while to work out where they were coming from...an opened bag of compost in the small hallway cupboard, so I took that off smartly to the allotment shed!

I then chucked out all plants and lived for awhile plant free, till a neighbour gave me a purple leaved one, because I'd given her a cutting in the past. Aaarrgghhh!!! I don't want plants in the flat!!

PS, I'm on the bog being dive bombed by my unwanted tenant! Helllpppppp!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Got the little b****r!!!

It was on a curtain and I used the swat. Yaaaaay!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Try 'Mr Sheen'....That should polish it off!

Malc.
Love that !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top