Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Re: What Makes us Uniquely Human?

Cats and dogs can lick their naughty bits.
(a) I can't - I've just tried, and
(b) I would want to even if I could.

Humans are the only creatures to use toilet paper.

Where are I going with this???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 09:21 PM

After I finished cleaning the loos and hoovering at work this evening I stood back and thought what animal would do this ? couldn't think of one so cleaning or working would be my guess
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 09:41 PM

One feature that has to be unique to the human race is how a single individual living amongst the herd can hoard all the goodies to himself whilst the others go half starved and do nothing about it. Most other groups of creatures do everything for the good of the whole community, and if any one of them tried to get greedy he wouldn't last long. Yes we are definitely different.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
We have the ability to reason

On reflection, I need to add that most of the people I know possess this ability, which is to be applauded

think I should 'go back to the drawing board' ..... hmmmmmmm
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
After I finished cleaning the loos and hoovering at work this evening I stood back and thought what animal would do this ? couldn't think of one so cleaning or working would be my guess
Could hunting in packs be classed as 'working together' ?
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 10:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJvfjiCTvq4

If you watch this short video, Rachel, perhaps you will see that the answer is yes.
The humback whales congregate once a year off the coast of Alaska, and hunt the abundant shoals of herring.

The way they do it is certainly proof of intelligence and team effort.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=Hanfonius;492056]I don't want to discredit your viewpoint, Mick. In fact I agree with everything you have said.

However, I know of Americans who will go into the woods, and at considerable expense and fire-power, kill the wild life. They don't want to eat their kills, but they need that power of superiority.
I used to live in Kenya, and there we would get rich tourists coming out with wads of money and licences to kill animals. They would shoot an elephant, and just leave it to rot. (The natives would take parts of the carcass to make souvenier trinklets, and any sellable ivory).

I can't explain how sick that makes me feel. I know it happens, bit to me, that is tragic and barbaric beyond words.

I could mention pigeon and rabbit shooting in this country, and they justify it by saying they are pests. I admit to being an angler - but I rarely eat my catches - they go back into the water.

Mankind is the most destructive and thoughtless creature ever to inhabit this planet - and we think we are so superior!!![/QUOTE]

That has been said many times Hans, and I am sure there are others on this forum as well as myself, who would agree with that.
Annabelle
Tasmania Australia
Annabelle is female 

02-07-2014, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I would have said our ability to imagine things, as far as I am aware no other species can do that. It helps us do many things and be ready for the consequences.
Would you class dreams as 'imagining' - because animals dream - take a dog running in its sleep - it would be dreaming/Imagining its previous days run or hunt or whatever.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 02:21 AM

This thread is degenerating into the "What have the Romans ever done for us?" argument.

Apart from the medicine, humanitarian aid, transport, life expectancy, Education, infant mortality, science, exploration etc etc.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 11:53 AM

Having the instinct to preserve other Human Life, sometimes beyond the viability of the individual, and possibly sometimes detrimental to the successful progression of the species, a trait that seems not to be apparent in other species Imo.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top