Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Re: Housing Crisis - Could This Be Why?

I understand that Uncle Joe but what I don't understand is how rents can soar that high in the first place - how are people supposed to be able to afford to pay them? To be honest, after watching that programme, I'm a little less surprised that people do choode to stay unemployed with the tax payer footing the bill - they wouldn't be able to pay it themselves!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I understand that Uncle Joe but what I don't understand is how rents can soar that high in the first place - how are people supposed to be able to afford to pay them? To be honest, after watching that programme, I'm a little less surprised that people do choode to stay unemployed with the tax payer footing the bill - they wouldn't be able to pay it themselves!

Precisely Karen darlin'!!! - and because 'commercial' rents are high, there is a tendency where housing is in short supply to push up all rents (including those on Housing Benefit). Councils now 'cap' limits on what they will pay towards rents in the private sector (particularly in the centre of towns) in an attempt to restrict the rise in rents, but this then limits the possibility of Housing Benefit claimants from living in the centre of the city close to shops and other essential services, which means there is then a greater need for transport connections to the suburbs. In some instances in London, some of the inner city councils have relocated their Housing Benefit claimants to other towns and cities altogether in an attempt to reduce the Housing Benefit they are paying out. Such policy of couse, takes no account of individual circumstances and removes the claimant notn only away from the area they know, but also away from their friends and relatives too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 12:54 PM

We would need a rent cap to have stopped prices rising, I am not sure there would be much appetite for that in such a greedy world as we live in.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We would need a rent cap to have stopped prices rising, I am not sure there would be much appetite for that in such a greedy world as we live in.

Yes Julie, the Government COULD do that, but the present government doesn't have the political 'will' to do so, because of the vested interests that exists amongst their back-bench.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Julie, the Government COULD do that, but the present government doesn't have the political 'will' to do so, because of the vested interests that exists amongst their back-bench.
You are right but are forgetting no previous government has done it either and labour had long enough to prove themselves IMO
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

19-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You are right but are forgetting no previous government has done it either and labour had long enough to prove themselves IMO

Again Julie I concur, but then BLIAR was a Tory anyway and Brown was a useless git.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 03:27 PM

69% of new builds are bought by non-residents (and most of them don't even want to live in them but want them as an investment property) and they are prepared to pay over the odds for what they want. Doesn't this push up the cost of housing,not to mention availability, for everyone else?

Isn't there a way this could be stopped?
The problem is that you can't ban buyers for what they intend to do with the property once they've bought it but I thought that there are supposed to be safeguards in place to ensure genuine buyers, (who wish to live in the properties), are given first choice but judging from what happens round here that's not working or it's been ignored.

We have a development virtually on our doorsteps and we got involved because we were concerned about the potentially huge increase in the local population plus the ability of the local infrastructure to cope.

One of the things we all asked about too was buy-to-let purchasers and we were assured that sales would be to genuine home seekers rather than those seeking an investment.
We were told that there would be a 5 year ban on new owners selling-on or renting-out their newly purchased properties so we felt a little better - until early this year, with the first phase being barely 12 months old.

We saw "To Let" signs appearing on 4 properties then "For Sale" signs on three others!

All our enquiries have resulted in no replies whatsoever from our Council, our MP or the developer, who is currently building the next phase, twenty yards from my front door, so we were lied to, much as we thought we would be, despite the "consultation" farce we all went through!

It also seems that the "30% social housing provision" that we saw originally is now more like 15% because far from being a housing scheme to help ordinary buyers, this is now a "luxury development" - £200,000+ for a poky 2-bed house?!!!
You're having a laugh!!! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-10-2013, 03:36 PM

I am not sure we couldn't ban people doing things with their properties we already list what properties are allowed to be used for and listed buildings have quite strict rules attached. Would take much tweaking to extend the idea.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 05:33 PM

It is called racketeering, do you remember the Ranchman scandal?
Some of you who are old enough will I am sure.
Peter Rachman
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 10:09 PM

I wonder if the fact that people are living longer, together with the fact that they are able to keep living in their homes and not selling them to pay care bills (I know quite a few people who have left theirs empty) is adding to the problem. Middle aged people, maybe aren't being left properties so are staying put longer, if you get my drift, so the market's not moving and the money invested in the property isn't being passed down the line, so to speak.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top