Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Re: GPs, Receptionists and the like

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Exactly the same here Karen - the phone is a non starter, you hold on for ages.... If you go there to make an appointment, it is jam packed. We have so many immigrants on the books now, it never used to be so full. Don't get me wrong I am 'not' racist - at all. Count yer blessings there Rachel....
Phoning is the problem here as well Pats - it just rings and rings and rings. Luckily, I don't live far from the surgery but I do feel for those in the outlying areas that have a bit of a trek in before 8.30 to get an appointment for that day and if all the emergency appointments have gone then, tough.

They have a white board on the wall showing how many people miss their appointments every week - not sure what that's supposed to convey to people who have turned up!

I really like the thought that you could go online and book your own appointment at a time and date to suit - just wish I knew how it worked before I go suggesting it!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 06:58 PM

On the subject of doctors receptionists, I reckon there should be some sort of IQ test both for them and for pharmacist assistants. Why? well, last week my pharmacy rang to say my script was up for renewal and did I need everything, answer yes. Two days later she rings again and says that the surgery have refused to issue new script because they want me in for a review.

Ring surgery, takes 8 minutes to speak to a voice due to automated 'press 1 etc' system. Explain who I am and that I have been told to request a review. She accidentally (?) cuts me off.

Ring back, go through the same 8 min faff about. Speak to someone else who then has to find out who I spoke to originally and transfer me.

I then explain who I am, that I was due a repeat prescription for my meds, at which point she interrupts and tells me I have to ring my pharmacy to apply for repeat script. Hold breath, count quickly to ten, explain that I am aware of that, but that they, that is the surgery, has refused to issue the script because my meds are due a review, and that am ringing to discover how I can get the medication which is now almost out, and in fact will be taking the last of one of them on Sunday night.

Oh thats ok she says, just need to make and appointment for a review,and immediately makes me an appt for July 5th. BUT she explains that I must tell the pharmacy that this appointment has been made and ask that they write on the prescription that a review appointment has been made before they send it to the surgery.

Ring pharmacy, speak to apparently new assistant, explain who I am, that I need my repeat script, and that someone at the pharmacy has to make a note on the script that I have made a review appointment for June 5th. Simple, no? NO!

She goes away, comes back and tells me I cannot have a repeat prescription, because I have to have a review. Count to ten again, then explain that I know this and I have contacted my surgery, made the appropriate appointment, and that they have advised that someone there, at the pharmacy, write on the script that this appointment has been made, and they will return the new script asap. Okay says she, that has been done and it will go down to the surgery this morning.

Then rang surgery again, told them that it was on its way and please please please could they ensure it came back asap as was almost out of painkillers. Sure they said, no problem.

That dear friends was Thursday. Took my last painkillers last night, so trotted along to pharmacy to pick up all my pills. Guess what? Nowt there. Script not returned to pharmacy.

But this is not the end of it, assistant rang surgery who said it was still there, so she asked them to fax it, and was told that she (ie other end of phone) was not allowed to fax scripts. Pharmacist then rings them, only to be told that the script has been sent to the other chemist in the village. He rings them, oh no it hasn't, rings the surgery back, oh no it is still there!! What the he double hockey sticks is going on. So HE asks them to fax it through and is refused, but is allowed to issue me with my painkillers, so at least will sleep tonight, and then trot over and collect rest of stuff tomorrow afternoon. But what a flippin' kerfuffle.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Aww daisy - you have been given the runaround! Nice to know the health service runs for our benefit though isn't it
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 11:05 PM

That could almost be our surgery Daisy, when my husband had vein surgery he was told to go to his GP for stockings, he did they sent him to be measured at the hospital, 3 weeks later they rang to say prescription was ready so I went to get it, stockings were for female and had lace tops ! Said I doubt he will wear them so they sent for another script which duly arrived a week later, this time they read unisex but guess what still had lace tops !

So he went back to GP who while he sat in surgery wrote him a script for mens stockings, this was 5 and 1/2 weeks after the surgery and they should have been worn from the day he got home. So he is at present having complications from surgery because he didn't have the stockings from day 1 as needed.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 10:10 AM

I have to have cortisone injections in my knees about every three months. I phoned my surgery to ask for an appointment as she told that it would be late June. I explained that I needed the injection as I was in great pain and that my doctor was happy to do it during a normal appointment. She told me that my regular doctor was on holiday and wouldn't be back until June.

Ok I said can I have an appointment with another doctor? You can she said but you need to ring back tomorrow morning at 8.30 for an emergency appointment. I went into the surgery to see if face to face I could make an appointment and was told the same thing. I was then told the doctor would only assess me during this emergency appointment he would not do the injection.

I explained that I was in awful pain and she advised that I go to the drop in health centre which I did. The young doctor said that he could not give cortisone injections and gave me some more pain killers, I am on 3kinds already.

Finally my husband got mad and went into the surgery to find out what I had to do to get an injection. Immediately I was given an appointment with my own doctor (who was on holiday till June if you remember) when I saw him he told me to make an appointment as soon as I left his office for another appointment.

I tried but was told that I needed to ring back in six weeks to make an appointment for the end of the next six weeks. I tried I really tried but I have had the injection and now feel 100% better.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2013, 10:39 AM

Crikey - I think I'd better stop moaning about our local GPs!

Why is there all this faffing about to make various appointments for basic things? Why couldn't the hospital have given Julie's husband the stockings before he was discharged? It's what our hospital does. If someone is having great pain in knee joints, why are they sent running hither and thither?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Just watching 'This Morning' on TV and they were talking about how much GP's are being blamed for poor service.

I think with all due respect to receptionists some of them are just jobs worth and instead of sorting out a problem tend to make the problems in the first place.

My doctor is brilliant it is the group of ladies on the end of the phone and at the reception desk who are the biggest problem to me. Just as the nurses at the hospital were brilliant but the administration and appointments is just terrible.

My husband eventually became annoyed and actually told the woman that he was fed up with hearing me crying in my sleep with pain. He asked her how she would like it? Hence I got an appointment.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:59 PM

To reply to Daisymay, I was trained as a dispenser with Boots in the 70's, it was very strict & took 2 years to qualify, I would have probably lost my job if I'd treated a customer like that. We would go to the surgery ourselves if we had to and deliver it on the way home if urgent.
My GP sent me a letter asking why I hadn't been back to see her as she was worried, I've been trying for an appointment, No pre-bookables left so have to ring at 8am for same day ones, phone always engaged, by the time you get through, all gone! Now I've got one booked for middle of June, so she'll have to worry won't she?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top