Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Re: Do you take your mobile phone to bed?

I always turn my mobile OFF at night.
The alarm always works in the morning!

Do an experiment during the day...the alarm should still work when the phone is off.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I always turn my mobile OFF at night.
The alarm always works in the morning!

Do an experiment during the day...the alarm should still work when the phone is off.
It works on mine if I set the app to priority notification.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It works on mine if I set the app to priority notification.
I don't even know what that means!!

Just turn the phone OFF and the alarm should still work.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Most definitely not! I used to when I first had a mobile but after being woken by people saying "oops, sorry wrong number" it now stays downstairs on the coffee table.
Summer, hope you won't mind me saying, I wouldn't leave it on charge overnight. Firstly because there have been cases of fires being started from Phones being left on charge, and secondly, someone from the phone shop once told me that by leaving it on charge once it has been charged fully is not good for the life of the phone.
Hope you don't mind me telling you this. x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Always turn my mobile off at night but ALWAYS have it on my bedside table.

If you ever have a break in or night burglar then it's important to have your phone immediately to hand to be able to phone the police.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I don't even know what that means!!

Just turn the phone OFF and the alarm should still work.
Mines never off as I said it's too handy to use as a book if I'm unable to sleep.

Smart phones enable you to get notices when you set your phone to get them, I have phone calls texts and alarms set to priority so no matter what else I'm doing the phone lets me know.

You can set notices to come through when the phone is off too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Most definitely not! I used to when I first had a mobile but after being woken by people saying "oops, sorry wrong number" it now stays downstairs on the coffee table.
Summer, hope you won't mind me saying, I wouldn't leave it on charge overnight. Firstly because there have been cases of fires being started from Phones being left on charge, and secondly, someone from the phone shop once told me that by leaving it on charge once it has been charged fully is not good for the life of the phone.
Hope you don't mind me telling you this. x
That's a good point shroppie. I leave my iPad on charge over night so it's ready next day. But it's in a box that's lined with lead so I think that's fairly safe. I didn't deliberately buy a lead lined box just picked it up at a car boot sale, lovely wooden inlaid box didn't realise it was lead lined until I got it cleaned up.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Mine is switched off at night but I keep it on my bedside cabinet so I can grab it in an emergency, burglar or health problems.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Good God no - I only ever turn it on if I'm meeting someone and one of us might be delayed. I really don't understand this obsession with constantly checking phones.
Nor do I. Mine mainly stays in my bag & I forget to charge it.
If out I do use it to check the time or to ring my Daughter if we are going to different places while out together & I want to know where to meet up, it's handy for that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
As l have a landline at the side of my bed, l keep my mobile phone in the drawer of the bedside table.
I might sound paranoid but if my mobile phone is too near my head, l imagine it giving off nuclear waves or something?!!

Well if you are paranoid, then so am I, Art.

I have read about men being sterile because of phones kept in their jeans pocket, and other such similar things too.
I have quite an extensive article somewhere about this, and also about sitting on your sofa everynight and being within 1 metre of a landline charger being harmful too.

I take my mobile to my bedroom at night, but it is switched off, and is not next to my bed even then. It only takes seconds to switch it on in an emergency.

I am indeed paranoid if you like, but not without reason.
A few years back I had a Nokia that used to start burning my ear and face after about 5 mins useage.
I sent it back to them and asked them to check it.
They returned it some time later and assured me it was alright, but I felt they were wrong because as I said, after 5 mins or so, you could have fried an egg on the side of my face! Even my cheek bone hurt and ached, and did so for sometime afterwards too. Quite frightening it was.

I am sure phones have improved tremendously since then, but I have been very wary ever since this.
Strangely, it even began happening with the house phone at the time as well. That is when I started reading up on it.

I do firmly believe some people are more sensitive to magnetic fields than others. I seem to be one of them.

The trouble is, if it doesn't happen to them, other people don't believe you. I would no more put a mobile under my pillow than I would a bomb.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top