Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 03:11 PM

Re: Why are we afraid of writing a WILL

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I could be wrong Meg .. you'll probably know better than me.

But doesn't anything considered a joint asset such as bank accounts or property automatically go to the survivor anyway?
I understood that to be the case too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I could be wrong Meg .. you'll probably know better than me.

But doesn't anything considered a joint asset such as bank accounts or property automatically go to the survivor anyway?
Morty it is over 30 years ago now and my memory is hazy. Things may be different now depending on a number of factors.
The house with a mortgage was in our joint names as was the bank account.

I had to fill in some forms and swear an affidavit to say the possessions mentioned in the form were our only assets. I then had to take the forms/death certificate to the registrar in Gloucester, pay a small fee and that was it. I took me just a couple of days to complete.

I was so cross having made numerous visits to the solicitor to obtain the letters of administration . He made it seem so complicated and would no doubt have eventually charged me for each visit. Everything was on hold until it was sorted. I didn't pay him anything in the end.
Things may have changed since then.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 03:27 PM

I was never afraid of making a will, it was just getting round to it. It was actually, Muddy on here who made me make the effort when wills were being discussed on another forum.
I went to a Solicitor as l wanted it done properly, it was £120 plus VAT. I had been quoted £200 plus VAT by the solicitor l usually used! I was asked questions like, what would happen if any of my unattached children died before the others, who would they like their share to go to?
I was fine until l went to the Solicitor's office to check the final document, l nearly cracked up! To see the words, 'The Last Will And Testament' with my name included on a black and white funeral type inscribed cover seemed so morbid and final.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Morty it is over 30 years ago now and my memory is hazy. Things may be different now depending on a number of factors.
The house with a mortgage was in our joint names as was the bank account.

I had to fill in some forms and swear an affidavit to say the possessions mentioned in the form were our only assets. I then had to take the forms/death certificate to the registrar in Gloucester, pay a small fee and that was it. I took me just a couple of days to complete.

I was so cross having made numerous visits to the solicitor to obtain the letters of administration . He made it seem so complicated and would no doubt have eventually charged me for each visit. Everything was on hold until it was sorted. I didn't pay him anything in the end.
Things may have changed since then.
If everything was in joint names, why did you need letters of administration....everything was yours anyhow.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
If everything was in joint names, why did you need letters of administration....everything was yours anyhow.
Malcolm I was told it was necessary at that time.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 03:59 PM

I have a will, my late OH had a will, we took them out together. Most things were in our joint names. It doesn't stop some people from demanding a Grant of Probate. I am still waiting on the probate office for the certificate or whatever it is they send to you. I have already filled in the form, got that back, sworn an oath & sent it off again, more waiting. Why is nothing ever simple.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Malcolm I was told it was necessary at that time.
Oh dear Meg that's a shame, as if you hadn't enough to worry about at a time like that.
We have joint everything to preclude any of that pseudo legal nonsense.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 04:17 PM

For those of us without partners or offspring a will is essential. I've recently revised mine. I want to be sure that charities benefit rather than estranged and comfortably off siblings.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 04:18 PM

The potential for complications are legion.

If you subsequently suffer from dementia, were you competent when you signed your will ?
A disgruntled family-member may claim otherwise and it's hard to prove either way.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 04:18 PM

I agree. Very wise.
Sorry Pummy, this reply was to Ania's post.

Hi Ania

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top